The Pinnacle Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.20800°N / 81.313°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike, with some light scrambling.
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Strenuous walk-up.
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The trail begins at the signed area just beside the Crowder's Mountain State Park office and visitor's center.

Route Description

The trail begins at the signed area just beside the Crowder's Mountain State Park office and visitor's center. The length of the Pinnacle Trail is 1.7 miles. The first half mile or so is level and graded and easy to walk.
Image hosted by ImageHost.org
As the trail begins to climb toward a rocky ridgeline, one sees another trail on the right which leads down to the backcountry campsites inside the park. Bypass this side trail and continue on, coming to some rugged areas that follow the top of the ridge. The trail continues steadily upslope, but not too steeply, until one passes over the ridge, into a shallow gap, and then up toward the true peak of King's Pinnacle. The last third mile of this trail is pretty strenuous climbing with about 400 vertical feet to cover in that distance, with some scrambling just before making the final ridgetop.
Image hosted by ImageHost.org
There are no creeks or springs along this trail. It gets really hot here in the summer, so make sure you take plenty of water along. Total elevation gain on this trail is about 800 feet.
Image hosted by ImageHost.org

Essential Gear

Good boots. Hiking staff. Water.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.