Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Scott

Scott - Oct 19, 2015 1:18 am - Voted 10/10

Wooley Hole

I haven't been there for years, but near the lip of the entrance to Wooley Hole, there used to be an old cable that aided in surmounting the rock band directly. You would follow the Kelsey Route up the "cobblestone couloir" and look for the cable to get up the rockband. You either had to know where it was or look for it (I assume Kelsey never found it since it wasn't in his book). I wonder if it's still there?

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Oct 19, 2015 1:28 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Wooley Hole

Hmm, that's interesting, and would definitely make for a more direct way to get above the rockband. I hadn't heard of the cable before so didn't bother looking (it may have been there and I just totally overlooked it), but I wonder if anyone else has used or seen it recently. I'm still curious if we'd been just west of the drainage we were going up if we would've come across a view like the one in Kelsey's guidebook (guess the only way to know for sure would be to get back up there).

David Mortensen

David Mortensen - Oct 21, 2015 10:23 am - Hasn't voted

North Timp

You made another epic trip report! That was such a great day. The pictures look really nice. And, as always, I enjoy your descriptive writing!

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Oct 22, 2015 11:47 am - Hasn't voted

Re: North Timp

Thanks for being patient with my route-finding / bushwhacking getting up to Woolly Hole! North Timpanogos' lower slopes are a bit of a deterrent, but I'm glad we pushed past the early difficulties since the mountain really rewarded us with some great scenery the higher we got. That summit ridge was awesome as well, with views just as good as the ones we've seen along the Cottonwood and Alpine Ridges. It ultimately turned out to be one of my favorite hikes, and I'm glad you were with me for it (don't know if Kendrick or Johnny would've been up for the initial sufferfest)!

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'The Route Less Traveled - North Timp Loop' main page