The Salo Plaque on the Summit...

The Salo Plaque on the Summit...

The Salo Plaque on the Summit of Spirit Mountain (18 Nov 2004) - this has since been removed by "an anonymous annoyed party"
Brice Neugebauer
on Dec 10, 2004 5:16 pm
Image ID: 80993

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
desainme

desainme - Dec 10, 2004 5:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Great Brass Plaque

Looks more official than the USGS markers.

Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - Dec 11, 2004 9:10 am - Hasn't voted

Money and Determination

The family perhaps had some money and determination to do this. I don't mind it, I doubt the government does either, but it's not official, no matter how nice it looks. They did do a better job than the government would have.

Saintgrizzly

Saintgrizzly - Dec 11, 2004 11:24 pm - Voted 10/10

That's one way...

...to avoid a summit log.

Brice Neugebauer

Brice Neugebauer - Oct 2, 2005 12:19 am - Hasn't voted

Summit plaque has been removed

Author: ochotona

Date: Aug 29, 2005 2:06 PM



The USFS has policies against unauthorized placement of plaques and other mementos in Wilderness areas, and I find them most offensive. This is, after all, supposed to be wilderness. This plaque was clearly not authorized, and was removed by an anonymous annoyed party. In response to an e-mail to the Custer National Forest questioning their policies, I got a call from a ranger who would have hiked in and removed it herself - she was glad to be notified, as the ranger district was not aware of the plaque's existence. She commented that if people find similar mementos, they should let the appropriate national forest know - and they will send someone to remove them (or you can remove them yourselves). It should be pretty obvious if a plaque is official, and there are very few such memorials in Wilderness areas.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4