The upper Llanganuco valley and Chacraraju

The upper Llanganuco valley and Chacraraju

In front is Cebollapampa (3900m), the usual place for basecamp for the likes of Pisco, Yanapaccha and Huandoy. You can drive to this place, as the road is only a few minutes away. There were plenty of tents when I passed by, but if you're already acclimatized, there is no need to spend a night this low. By far the most popular peak in the area is Pisco Oeste (5752m). There is a refuge at it's base, at around 4700m, and there are good camping opportunities both near the refuge and higher up on the moraine. Logistically, the easiest way to climb Pisco is to take a bus or hitch a ride to Cebollapampa, walk to the refuge, and climb Pisco from there the next day. After the climb, you can descend back to Cebollapampa and hitch a ride back to civilization or flag down a passing bus. This way, you can climb Pisco in two days from Huaraz or Yungay. You have to be acclimatized to do this, but if you are, you need very little gear. No tent, sleeping bag or stove, and as for food, just bring lunch for a day or two. But do check if the refuge is open before heading out! 6 July 2011.
rgg
on May 31, 2012 6:30 am
Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing,  Informational,  Scenery
Image ID: 792614

Comments

No comments posted yet.