Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Brian C

Brian C - Dec 12, 2010 6:55 pm - Voted 10/10

Great!

I climbed the Desolations 2 years ago after being weathered off on a previous attempt. It is a LONG way over there (much further than it looks) but well worth it. This report brings back some great memories. We also had some snow on the final ridge (enough to have old fall river closed forcing us to park at the alpine VC) and also dropped into the drainage. I remember my partner giving me the evil eye on the way back up to the pass. Great report and congrats and making it happen!

CSUMarmot

CSUMarmot - Dec 12, 2010 7:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great!

About a week before we summited they closed down OFRR on the weekend we planned to climb it, I cant imagine having to walk all the way back up to the visitor center! It sucked bad enough climbing back to Chapin Pass

Brian C

Brian C - Dec 12, 2010 8:49 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Great!

Lucky! It was an experience in trudgery to say the least.

punkinhead

punkinhead - Dec 18, 2010 3:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Good Report

Nice job, marmot. I have already had one 'turning around' experience with these peaks - the scramblin and exposure are nothing to take lightly when weather's threatening.

CSUMarmot

CSUMarmot - Dec 18, 2010 9:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good Report

Wow, it seems like everyone has had problems with the weather when they try this one, do you remember what time of year you tried?

punkinhead

punkinhead - Dec 19, 2010 12:20 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Good Report

yes, a look at my photos shows it was aug 2nd of this year. A couple buddies and I had tagged Chiquita and Ypsilon. After moseying over to the start of the ridge leading to the W. Desolation peak, we gnawed on snacks and nervously eyed the cumulonimbus swirling above. My "live to climb another day" instincts kicked in and I was like "dudes we are so out of here". We headed down the slope to the W. About 10 minutes later it went industrial and pinned us under a big boulder for half an hour. We ended up slogging out in the rain. In a strange sort of way it made the day really memorable and neat. You picked a great time for your successful climb (mid-sept). Thanks for the beta and good pix - I will be heading back to experience these fantastic summits. I luv the wild, un-trammeled character of norther RMNP.

CSUMarmot

CSUMarmot - Dec 19, 2010 7:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good Report

Of the two places in RMNP that I never seem to get good weather, CCY and Mount Ida, I was both able to enjoy a cloudless day in September, so I guess September is a good last ditch month to cross things off the ol' list
Thanks for reading

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Third time is the time when you're sick of turning around' main page