Thorp Creek

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.23000°N / 117.3°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Hurricane Creek trailhead, follow Hurricane Creek Trail approximately 2 1/2 miles to Thorp Creek trail. Thorp Creek trail is not shown on the USFS maps, but it is shown on the USGS Chief Joseph Mtn quadrangle. Cross Hurricane Creek (there were crossable logs upstream of horse crossings when we did route). Go through a grassy meadow on the east side of Hurricane Creek and find the trail.

Follow Thorp Creek trail approximately 5 miles to a cirque between Hurwal Divide and Sacajawea Peak. There are numerous places to camp in this valley.

Route Description


Go upstream along Thorp Creek until it turns west into a higher scree-filled cirque. The creek goes through a gap at the bottom of this cirque. Gain the ridge leading north at this gap. Stay on the ridge as swings to the west. Sacajawea's steep north face will be immediately on your right. As the ridge loses definition high up, traverse the upper slopes on the left to gain the summit ridge. This ridge leads southwest to the summit.

Essential Gear


The route is non-technical, but is steep and gravelly in places. Trekking poles are useful on this terrain. There is no water above Thorp Creek.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.