Thorp Mountain Via Knox Creek Trail

Thorp Mountain Via Knox Creek Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.37083°N / 121.20856°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Knox Creek TrailKnox Creek Trail

The Knox Creek Trail (#1315.1) is the standard route leading towards the summit of Thorp Mountain, in Washington State. Although other routes towards Thorp Mountain also exist, including Thorp Creek Trail and Kachess Ridge Trail, Knox Creek Trail provides the shortest established starting route leading to Thorp Mountain.

Starting at the Knox Creek Trailhead (~4200' elevation), the summit of Thorp Mountain can be reached within 2.5 miles with 1650' elevation gain. Most of the elevation gain for the route occurs on the approach to Kachess Ridge, during the first half of the route.

Route Description

1) The Knox Creek Trail #1315.1 begins (~4200' elevation) by steeply switchbacking up rocky and wildflower-filled slopes.

2) After 1.3 miles, the Knox Creek Trail #1315.1 intersects (~5300' elevation) with the Kachess Ridge Trail #1315 (north-south trail). Turn right, heading north along the Kachess Ridge Trail.

3) After 1.0 miles, the Kachess Ridge Trail #1315 intersects with the Thorp Mountain Trail #1315.2 (~5200' elevation).

4) Turn onto Thorp Mountain Trail #1315.2, which leads to the summit (5854' elevation) of Thorp Mountain.

Getting There

From the intersection of French Cabin Creek Road #4308 and Thorp Lake Road #4312:

1) Continue straight along Road #4308 for approximately 2.0 miles, until an intersection with Knox Creek Road #120. Veer right onto this road.

2) Follow Knox Creek Road #120 for approximately 2.1 miles to the Knox Creek Trailhead, located on the rightside of the road. Parking spaces in the area are very limited, perhaps only with enough room for six vehicles maximum to be parked along the road, and turnaround spots are few.

Essential Gear

Standard hiking gear.

NOTE: No facilities are located along this route.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.