Three Peak Traverse

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 51.20690°N / 115.6681°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Moderate
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


This is a 3700'+/- ascent day. From the parking lot, cross the bridge and obtain the Cory-Edith Trial to your right. Hike 6 km along the Cory Pass trail to Cory Pass, which means you will take a left at a fork in the trail and ascend a steep meadow area (some of the best bird watching in Banff NP).


Route Description


Ascend Edith on your right from the col. You have a north angled chimney to ascend and descend going to the north summit, an easy scramble to the middle with one short exposed section, a fun short glissade over to the col between the middle and south summit (where you make your final descent), and the most challenging obstacle, (when full of snow) the tunnel to the south summit which can make for some tight and slightly exposed climbing.

The south peak is the most difficult of the three. The route begins just below the center-south peak col in a north facing gully. Scramble up steep rock in the gully for about 8 m toward a narrow tunnel. The tunnel can be a challenge. Once through the tunnel, work your way across ledges to the south and intersect the south ridge.

On descent, return to the center-south col and descend back to the Cory Pass Trail. Avoid down slopping slabs.

You have great views of Mount Louis and the Gmoser route up that mountain (great route!). You are awarded a good view of Cory to the west as well, another common scramble.
Tooltip for IE: Gamskofel

Essential Gear


Helmet, Alpine Ax (looks good even if you don’t us it), Camera (great shots of Louis, Cory and Fifi) and Gaiters for scree descent



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.