Thumbs Down Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.97240°N / 72.0504°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Taken from the summit of...


VIA THE HARRIS CENTER: Take 123 west from Hancock, NH. About 2 miles down the road make a left on Hunts Pond Rd (sign marks the Harris Center). Make a left on Kings Highway. Parking will be just beyond the Harris Center, or (if you ask a Harris Center member) the Harris Center parking lot.


Route Description

Taken of Monadnock from the...


Thumb Down Trail
Elevation Gain 600 feet
1.5 mile


Thumb Mountain a rare gem in that it is an easy hike up with impressive views at the summit. The trail it's is very easy with one one small exception which is just after the intersection between the Thumbs Up and the Thumbs Down Trail.

The trail begins from the intersection with the Harriskat Trail roughly 0.5 miles from the Harris center. This trail first climb over level terrain until it runs in an old jeep trail. It take this route for roughly 0.3 miles until it runs into Jack Ponds (which has nice views on the left) Once past Jacks Pond the Trail begins a moderate climb up Thumb Mountain. The climb remains steady but stayed forested and never become exceptional steep until reaching the Thumb Up Trail intersection. Literally feet from this intersection though the trail travels over the only steep section on the trail after is brief steep section though the trail level out and become almost level. The goes through one more moderate ascent until reaching the summit (wooded) with postcard views thirty yards up from the summit.

Essential Gear

This is an easy class 1 trail. In summer, if you have good hiking boots and water, you can hike this mountain. In winter crampons, yaltraks, and or snowshoes are highly recommended. As with all mountains check weather before going. This mountain is not very popular in winter and often hikers in winter arre in the single digits the entire day.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.