Viewing: 1-17 of 17
Bill Reed

Bill Reed - Dec 17, 2013 9:04 am - Voted 10/10

Nice report Bob!!

Good to read your thoughts on avoiding the crowds (which I always try to do) in the popular spots. Haven't been to the Winds for a few years and your report makes me think I should reconsider (except the part about the jackasses!!) Titcomb Basin.
Thanks!

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Dec 17, 2013 12:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice report Bob!!

Thanks, Bill. I'm glad I finally got out to that section of the range. And although there's still much more to the Winds, I wouldn't mind going back there to climb some more of the big peaks.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Dec 20, 2013 9:49 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Re the hype..

Thanks a lot for the comment! Sometimes we forget that, as you point out, even in the busiest places, a little extra effort gets the solitude and discovery many of us crave.

aglane

aglane - Dec 19, 2013 9:15 pm - Hasn't voted

thanks

Couldn't agree more Bob, even with much regret at being more the hiker than climber there in '12. I respect the modesty of your report, and the ambition of your activity.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Dec 20, 2013 9:51 am - Hasn't voted

Re: thanks

Thanks a lot for the comments. I'm glad I finally gritten my teeth to endure the crowds I expected to find. Now I just wonder when I can get back; there is just so much to do and see there. Even though it's not a climbing objective, I found myself thinking from up high on Fremont that I'd really like to do the cross-country ramble to Summer Ice Lake one of these days. It just looked spectacular.

ywardhorner

ywardhorner - Dec 20, 2013 1:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Good report!

Thanks! I've been avoiding that area because of what I'd heard about the crowds. Sounds like it might not be as bad as I thought. I want to try the arete on Ellingwood.

WyomingSummits

WyomingSummits - Dec 21, 2013 10:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good report!

That one's on my list for sure! So much to do in the winds and the crowds really are overstated.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Dec 24, 2013 9:50 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Good report!

I think part of my luck in avoiding crowds had to do with when I went-- fire haze was pretty thick in the area at the time and might have been keeping more away. Still, the parking lot at Elkhart Park was pretty full. But there's a lot of country out there to absorb all the people, I guess.

Anyway, that arete on Ellingwood would be a blast; looking down it from the top was tantalizing!

wyopeakMike

wyopeakMike - Dec 20, 2013 1:58 pm - Voted 10/10

About time

Bob, it about time you got to see one of the most amazing places that there is. Even if it was crowded it still is spectacular. I haven't been there since 1998 and your photos brought back some great memories. I camped below the giant boulder below Mt Helen right off of the trail when I climbed Gannett that year. Next time you should climb the state highpoint because the views are unbelievable. There were NOLS groups all around when I was there and it did take away some of the wild feeling. I am glad to see that now you know one of the best parts of the whole state. If you go to the Southern Winds, go to the East Fork Valley, it will blow your mind.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Dec 24, 2013 9:53 am - Hasn't voted

Re: About time

Thanks for the advice, Mike. Yours is always good since you know the backcountry out there so well!

4corners

4corners - Dec 20, 2013 3:30 pm - Hasn't voted

great read

Thanks for posting. Great read on an area where I would like to spend more time.

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Dec 20, 2013 8:14 pm - Voted 10/10

Lots of clouds!

It was a difficult summer all over the west this year. Storms were well above average from Edmonton to Los Angeles, and Seattle to Denver. Looks like you had a great time regardless...awesome place indeed.

WyomingSummits

WyomingSummits - Dec 21, 2013 10:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Lots of clouds!

They were ridiculous in the Bighorns and Tetons....I got lucky with 3 day periods of calm twice in the Winds and once in the Absarokas. Just have to have an open schedule and good eye on the weather.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Dec 24, 2013 9:47 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Lots of clouds!

Now that I think about it, you guys are totally right. I spent about six weeks out west this past summer, in the Sierra Nevada, Nevada, Utah, and Wyoming, and I don't think I ever went more than two days without a storm. Oh well, it made for some cool pictures and exciting nights in the backcountry...

ozarkmac

ozarkmac - Dec 21, 2013 5:37 pm - Voted 10/10

terrific report

Titcomb Basin deserved a thorough survey and you came through big time. Thanks for posting. I added a few photos to the album. ...love to get back there someday.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Dec 24, 2013 9:52 am - Hasn't voted

Re: terrific report

Thanks for reading and commenting. Since this is a trip report, not an album, I thought it a bit odd when I saw those pictures attached, but I'm going to attach them to the Fremont pages and also to the Titcomb area page I'm working on, so no worries. Cheers!

ozarkmac

ozarkmac - Dec 24, 2013 12:50 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: terrific report

Sorry, I should've schooled myself in photo attachment protocol before just dropping those on your TR! Please move or put them wherever you see fit.

Viewing: 1-17 of 17
Return to 'Titcomb Basin: Alpine Dream' main page