Traverse from Sheep Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.53760°N / 118.2329°W
Additional Information Route Type: Class 2
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From the vicinity of the Patriarch Grove turn-off, the southeast slope of Sheep Mountain is clearly visible to the immediate northwest.

Continue on the main road on foot (or use one of the alternate approaches outlined on the main page) to the visible highpoint in the road a short distance (1/4 mile, perhaps) to the north. The point will be immediately to the east of an obvious light-colored peak, locally known as "Limestone Peak" (approx. 12,220 feet) next to the road.

Leave the road where it passes by Limestone Peak at the highpoint and head due west up to Limestone's summit. From there, drop down to the low saddle connecting it with Sheep Mountain to the west. Once at the saddle, walk up to the summit of Sheep Mountain. Piute Mountain is about a mile away to the northwest.

Route Description

From the summit of Sheep Mountain, or from the east slope below it, head north, dropping down to the saddle between Sheep Mountain and Piute Mountain at about the 12,000-foot level.

From the saddle, head northwest up Piute’s easy slopes to the summit.


To descend, retrace your steps. From Sheep’s summit, its southeast slope can also be descended class 2 to the car.

Essential Gear

The basics should do it. No special equipment should be needed.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.