Tread Gently

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.63780°N / 112.5536°W
Additional Information Route Type: Technical Rock Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.8
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Granite Basin Lake parking area, take trail 261 west to Blair pass, then turn north. At the fourth switcback (approximately 1/4 mile) beyond the pass, look right. A narrow climber's trail begins here that will take you east toward the main face on the mountain. Be careful not to lose the trail, as it is rough and steep and can be confusing. The trail terminates at the base of the Flying Buttress at a wide ledge called the Front Porch. From here, you can bushwhack left around the face to the slabs and the beginning of the route. A very steep spur off the climber's trail also leads directly to the base of Tread Gently. This trail is unmarked, but begins at a point roughly south of the slabs and runs perpendicular to the climber's trail.

Route Description


This route offers somewhat easy climbing over increasingly steep terrain with nice exposure at pitches two and three. The route's overall rating is 5.8, but it's more like 5.6 with moments of 5.8-9. At any rate it is an ultra-classic line.
Pitch One: Begin at the arete between the Swamp Slabs and the Middle Section. Climb the shallow crack to a mellow dihedral up to a wooded ledge (Pine Tree Ledge).
Pitch Two: Climb up and right using a good crack, then switch into a left tending crack. Continue to large belay ledge. (5.6)
Pitch Three: Climb up face holds to a bulge in the arete underneath a small roof. Climb out right past a fixed #2 Friend (probably the route's only truly tough move) and cruise easy and juggy terrain to a blocky ledge with a tree. (5.8+)
Pitch Four: Scramble up large boulders to the summit.
Descent: Walk northwest to the end of the slabs and hike/downclimb to Pine Tree Ledge. From the prominent pine, follow another trail down and south along the base of the climbs.

Essential Gear


You will need a 50 meter rope and a full rack of cams and stoppers. Also bring plenty of water and consider a headlamp if you get started after noon. The approach trail gets more confusing on the way down and almost impossible to follow at night.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.