Mount of the Holy Cross July 3-4 2008

Mount of the Holy Cross July 3-4 2008

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 4, 2009

July 3 2008:

Six year old Kessler and I left the trailhead in the afternoon and backpacked over Halfmoon Pass and over to Cross Creek where we camped. There were several snowfields to hike across. The stream was really high which made for an interesting crossing. We had a nice camp at Cross Creek.

Mount JacksonKessler and Mount Jackson as viewed from Halfmoon Pass on July 3 2008.


ApproachKessler approaching Mount of the Holy Cross on July 3 2008.


Current ConditionsMount of the Holy Cross as viewed from near Cross Creek.


Campsite This is our camp at Cross Creek on our climb to Mount of the Holy Cross.


July 4 2008:

At 6:15 am we left for the summit of Mount of the Holy Cross. We reached the top just before 11 am, but spent over an hour on the summit on a bluebird day. We hiked down the mountain and packed up camp and at an early dinner before climbing back over Halfmoon Pass. We had a second dinner on Halfmoon Pass and didn’t arrive back at the trailhead until 7:30 PM, over a 13 hour day, though we took our time on the climb out over Halfmoon Pass and down to the trailhead. With 4300 feet (1310 meters) altitude gain and 4800 feet (1460 meters) of descent on day 2 the peak was a hard earned prize for any six year old.

North RidgeThese are the lower slopes of the North Ridge of Mount of the Holy Cross as viewed on July 4 2008.


North FaceKessler with the looming North Face of Mount of the Holy Cross in the background.


North Ridge of Holy CrossKessler climbing the North Ridge on Mount of the Holy Cross. July 4 2008.


Current ConditionsMount of the Holy Cross on July 4 2008.


Climbing the North RidgeKessler climbing the North Ridge of Mount of the Holy Cross on July 4 2008.


Mount of the Holy CrossThese are some of the nice views seen from the North Ridge of Mount of the Holy Cross. This is looking southwest.


Flat section of the ridgeThis is looking down the rather flat part of the ridge on Mount of the Holy Cross as viewed on July 4 2008. The Gore Range looms in the background.


Views from the north ridgeThese are some of the nice views seen from the North Ridge of Mount of the Holy Cross. This is looking southwest.


Elk Range from the summitThis is very near the summit of Mount of the Holy Cross on July 4 2008. The Elk Range is in the far distance.


Summit of Holy Cross on July 4 2008Kessler on the summit of Mount of the Holy Cross on July 4 2008.


Gore Range from the summitThis is the Gore Range as viewed from the summit of Mount of the Holy Cross on July 4 2008.


Current ConditionsHalfmoon Pass on Mount of the Holy Cross on July 4 2008.


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Dec 28, 2008 9:15 am - Voted 10/10

Nice Album

Mount of the Holy Cross is on my list for my July 2009 trip - going up Halo Ridge. These pictures only reinforce that choice. Congratulations to your son for such an awesome feet. I was 43 before I bagged my one and only 14er!

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

Table of Contents