Viewing: 1-20 of 22
12
Mathias Zehring

Mathias Zehring - Nov 22, 2008 6:50 am - Voted 10/10

now I know

now I know about Beerenberg! It really enlarges my knowledge! Climbing this from sealevel proofs - even with good conditions - your physis. Congratulations for this special trip!
As I wrote in the PM:
- the mistaken name of the report should urgently be changed
- all your pictures should be attached to the report.
- primary image still to come

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Nov 22, 2008 7:06 pm - Voted 10/10

excellent!

It is good to hear of such adventures.

SarahThompson

SarahThompson - Nov 22, 2008 7:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Sounds like a great adventure!

Thanks for posting a report on your very unique trip and congratulations on making the summit.

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Nov 22, 2008 9:39 pm - Voted 10/10

Awesome!

This is a wonderful trip report

Das es gut!

Steve

johnm

johnm - Nov 23, 2008 12:41 am - Voted 10/10

Great Trip Report

This is reminiscent of some of the wonderful trip reports from Corax , It’s not just the climb, but the approach and the climb. Thanks for sharing!

Proterra

Proterra - Nov 23, 2008 8:40 am - Voted 10/10

Amazing...

I've always been drawn to the remote Arctic peaks. Beerenberg, Newtontoppen... Those places just sound really special... Maybe I should become the first American as well as the first Dutchman to go there :-)

Bruno

Bruno - Nov 23, 2008 9:06 am - Voted 10/10

Hooked by the title...

Thanks Wolfgang for this very original report on such a remote mountain!

I usually never read trip reports, but I must admit that I was hooked by the title... though the claim as "first foreigners on Beerenberg" is a bit exagerated: as you mentioned yourself, the first ascent was done by one Swiss and two British in 1921.

I would recommend you to add one mountain page for Beerenberg. As one of the world Ultra peaks with more than 1500m prominence, Beerenberg really deserves its own page here on SP. This would also facilitate the search for other interested climbers.

Cy Kaicener

Cy Kaicener - Nov 23, 2008 11:26 am - Voted 10/10

Very Interesting

Thanks for sharing that very different type of adventure. We in the hot California desert love reading about such cool and different trips. I also enjoyed your website and took the liberty of posting it on Personal Websites in the General section -- Cy Kaicener http://www.hiking4health.com

Wolfgang Schaub

Wolfgang Schaub - Nov 23, 2008 1:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very Interesting

Thank you, Cy, and greetings to sunny California,

Wolfgang

Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Nov 23, 2008 2:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Wonderfully told!

All I can say - more of such! My compliments, Wolfgang!

reinhard2

reinhard2 - Nov 23, 2008 3:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Very interesting

TR and really an enrichment of SP!
Congratulations for summiting at this gloomy end of the world to such a clear sky, and my respect wrt the physical achievement!
Btw, when I saw your photo, I thought at first sight "Oh that's me" - well, not quite so, compare here.
Btw - it is good SP-practise ("Anerkannte Regel der SP-Technik") not to leave the images lingering about on the heap but to attach them expressly to the article/TR/... where they belong to. This is easily done with the Add image - attach existing link in the left row.

RazorRen

RazorRen - Nov 23, 2008 3:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Nice!

It's not everyday that people get the chance to visit such an isolated place like Jan Mayen let alone climb that volcano.

ktnbs

ktnbs - Nov 23, 2008 4:29 pm - Hasn't voted

super!

very enjoyable read and great photos.

asmrz

asmrz - Nov 23, 2008 7:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Jan Mayen

Wolfgang

Thanks for a great read. When I was a kid (a long time ago) I loved to read the polar exploration stories and I seem to remember Jan Mayen Island was named after a Norvegian (?) polar explorer who was a member of the 1928 (?) Umberto Mobile derigible flight over the North Pole. The derigible crashed and Jan Mayen died on the ice fields attempting to hike back to Greenland. I hope I remember it correctly. In any case, thanks for sharing your adventure, what a trip.

Cheers, Alois in California.

Wolfgang Schaub

Wolfgang Schaub - Nov 24, 2008 3:24 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Jan Mayen

Alois, thank you for your comment.

No, you've got it all wrong. ead the TR and you will find Jan Mayen is named after a Dutch whaler. I don't remember having heard of a Nobile crash, unless you mix this up with another island (Spitzbergen?). All easy to find out if you google.

There was another plane crash, however, in WWII. A German fighter plane hit the slope of a mountain. We visited the site and saw the debris still lingering around.

Wolfgang

Tsuyoshi

Tsuyoshi - Nov 23, 2008 11:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Excellent TR!

There really is something about the adventure found in mountains that are regularly overlooked. It makes me happy to read this, thanks for sharing with all!

Wolfgang Schaub

Wolfgang Schaub - Nov 24, 2008 6:10 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great trip report...

I thought Tilman lost Mischief somewhere between Brazil and the Antarctics. Why he never touched Jan Mayen I don't understand either. He also has not been on top of Rockall - I have. This will become my next report.

Wolfgang Schaub

Wolfgang Schaub - Nov 24, 2008 11:21 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great trip report...

Aha. Honestly, I am currently reading Tilman's book, and I am half-way through. Slow progress, because I do not find much time reading. In the foreword I picked up something like getting lost between Brazil and the Antarctics, and thought this was with Mischief.

Tell your cute little daughter what you are after, and she will be happy to do the cooking onboard.

CClaude

CClaude - Nov 24, 2008 10:16 am - Voted 10/10

Now

that is a beautiful way to have a great adventure. Nice posting the gorgous pictures also.

suddendescent

suddendescent - Nov 24, 2008 1:15 pm - Hasn't voted

What an island vacation !

great account !

Now I know where to go for my next to get away from civilisation !

Considering the fact that some of those islands remain relatively unexplored , it is definitely a thrill to go where few have gone !

Just one comment ;
Despite the assumption that the effect of the gulf stream isn't noticeable at that geographic position , it is still noteworthy to mention that on some of those northern islands the Gulf stream is the source of some unusual surprises !

Apart from the very temperate climate of the Scilly islands further south (off the western coast of England) making it possible to grow tropical plants all year , A very small portion of the southern coast of Greenland harbors some trees...

Viewing: 1-20 of 22
12
Return to 'First Foreigners on Beerenberg - Or: Just Try Something New' main page