Ucka Nature Park

Ucka Nature Park

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 45.28663°N / 14.20245°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4596 ft / 1401 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Ucka Nature Park Overview

Ucka Nature Park, a mountain in the N - NE part of Istria peninsula, includes mountain massif Ucka and adjacent part of Cicarija plateau with total area of 160 km2. It stretches in the total length of 20 km from the Poklon pass (road Rijeka - Pazin leads over it) to the Plomin Bay.
Ucka & Vojak peak...Ucka & Vojak peak

It has an aspect of a prominent sheer rock, with peaks descending toward the south: Plas (1.285 m), the highest peak Vojak (1.401 m), Suhi Vrh (1.333 m), Brgud (907 m), Kremenjak (827 m) and Sisol (835 m).

Getting There

From Rijeka towards the center of Istria a modern road goes. While the old road climbs the Poklon saddle, the new one goes through the tunnel on an altitude of around 500m. From NW, say from Trieste or Koper, Učka can be reached by a road via Buzet. And from south, from Pula or other tourist resorts on the coast of Istra, Učka can be reached by a modern road via Pazin. From Poklon saddle a rather good road climbs to the very summit of Učka.

And how to reach the old road over Učka?

From Rijeka side (east): through Matulji and Veprinac, from Istra side (west) exit at west portal of Učka tunnel from main to local road in upward direction.

Ucka Outdoor

Ucka Outdoor is a project that provides opportunities for visitors to engage in various sporting and recreational activities in a unique natural surrounding of the Učka Nature Park in the way that respects and promotes (natural and man-made) values of the Para and simultaneously educates about the same. All activities included in the Učka Outdoor project are completely in line with the nature protection principles and professional code of conduct.
Ucka map

There is possibility to engage in the following organised activities:

- mountain climbing
- trekking
- free climbing
- paragliding and hang-gliding
- backpacking
- mountain biking
- speleo-adventure
- recreational horseback riding
- bird watching
- adventure racing

At the Park area there is about 50 marked paths for trekking/backpacking, 8 mountain biking routes and about 60 climbing routes.

Red Tape

Economic and other activities and actions that do not endanger the main features and functions of the nature park are permitted within its territory.(Nature Protection Law; OG #162/03)

Camping

Camping is possible at Medveja & Icici camp resort by the sea.

Mountain huts:

1. Mountain hut Poklon (open on saturday and sunday)
Contacts: Person in charge Marica Tomaško
phone: +385 51/712 785
mob: +385 91/783 3564

2. Pension-restaurant UČKA at Poklonu pass
Vela Učka bb; tel: +385 51/603 340

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

UckaAreas & Ranges