USAFA Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.00070°N / 104.9108°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Very steep incline, extremely difficult when icy(crampons required)
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is the only existing route for cilmbing Eagles Peak. It starts out as a road perpenidcular to the mountains directly across from the chapel/sports field parking area. After about a 10 minute hike by a lake and through some meadows, the road turns into a skinny trail with a sign at the front giving the stats of the mountain, etc. Follow this trail up into the canyon. This canyon has an intermittent creek flowing in it, which can make the trail very icy at times. The canyon does not get any sunlight, so it's always icy and snow-filled in the fall/winter. If you intend to climb this peak from October-April, you'll definetly need crampons and gloves because hands are needed for support. After hiking up this extremely steep canyon(up to 60 degree angle in spots with rock scrambling necessary)you'll come to a large, flat, aspen-filled meadow at about 9000' on the saddle of the mountain. Continue walking up the trail to the top of the peak. It isn't very hard one you reach the saddle. This peak is not to be underestimated because people have died on it before. Not for novice climbers.

Getting There

Go to the main chapel/sports field perking lot and the trailhead is directly across the main road through the academy. There's a sign that says "authorized vehicles only" in front of the road.

Route Description

Add Route Description text here.

Essential Gear

Crampons/gloves/in winter. Ice axe optional for extra stabilization

External Links

Add External Links text here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.