User Profile Image

User Profile Image

Me after exiting the Ouachita Trail after a day of hard rain and flash-floods. Imaged in March 2001.

Mark Doiron
on Mar 14, 2006 1:17 pm
Image Type(s): Hiking
Image ID: 180861

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
tanya

tanya - Nov 29, 2007 3:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Flash Floods....

Glad you came out okay. Floods are spectacular to watch but I would not want to get caught in one!

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Nov 30, 2007 9:40 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Flash Floods....

My best memories of trips are of those where I was challenged by the weather. And this one was right up at the top of the list. We had several stream crossings that were flowing pretty rapidly. And, it wasn't until the drive home that we came to realize just how severe the flooding had been (as we drove along the flooded highways in the valleys below). Quite a trip! --mark d.

tanya

tanya - Nov 30, 2007 2:44 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Flash Floods....

I could not agree more! Those too are my best memories. It's fun sitting in an alcove to avoid lightening or sliding down a mountain with the water or outrunning a flash flood! One time was not so fun! We had to cross an icy river many times. That hurts so BAD!!!!!!

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Sep 22, 2008 12:35 am - Voted 10/10

Glad you got out of that one oaky.

I am scared to death of flash floods, and have been in only one. I was with a group of four, seperated by miles, in the Sierras Nevada Range, with no map in my hand, and many overflowing creeks to cross, and 16 miles to go. I have no idea how I survied the ordeal!

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Sep 22, 2008 6:13 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Glad you got out of that one oaky.

Your ordeal sounds a lot riskier than my own. Even without a map, the Ouachita Trail along here is paralleled by Talimena Skyline Drive--so we were never very far from access to a road should we have needed it (albeit, it would have been a pretty rough and steep bushwhack to get to it). --mark d.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5