Alika

Offline

A Little About Me

I was born and raised in Honolulu, Hawaii, and have gazed up at the Ko'olau Mountains from my driveway through my entire childhood. The Ko'olaus are my home mountains and are still very dear to me. My parents and particularly my Aunty Laurie brought be into the mountains since I was little, as well as my numerous ocean activities. Starting in 8th grade, I attended an amazing tiny wilderness camp in Vermont where I first tried rock climbing and went backpacking in the White Mountains of Vermont and did backcountry canoe trips in Maine. The directors of the camp inspired me to further love the woods, and I have worked at the camp as a counselor for 2 years. In my last couple of years of High School, I started hiking in Hawaii even more, and became very interested in native plants, particularly rare plants. I work on several volunteer projects, including the Oahu Plant Extinction Prevention Program, monitoring and collecting from plants that have 50 or less individuals left in the world. This work brought me to more and more remote and beautiful areas of Oahu. Following my freshman year of college I was employed as a summer intern for the Oahu Army Natural Resource Program, doing work with the rare plants on army lands on Oahu, taking me to more amazing places on a full time basis. I am now a Sophomore at the University of Colorado- Boulder, studying Geography and Environmental Studies. In my first year here I have become much more into rock climbing and mountaineering. My interests include climbing trad, alpine, ice, sport and trying new kinds of climbing in new places. I have climbed in Eldorado Canyon, Boulder Canyon, Devils Tower, Shelf Road, Indian Creek, Zion, Red Rocks, and many other locations. Other than climbing I compete in Outrigger Canoe Racing (18 Boys State Champion in 2009), both one and six man and surfski open ocean kayaking. I also love to bodysurf and freedive, spearfishing or just for fun. I wish I could dive like my younger brother, a high school senior who builds his own wooden hand made spearguns and is an amazing freediver and spearfisherman.

My Images

See all of my 21 Images:

My Lists

Show Lists

Content loading here...

Messages Relevant to Me

Messages Posted to My Contributions

Show Messages

Content loading here...

Replies to My Messages

Show Messages

Content loading here...

Messages I Posted/ Editable Objects

Messages I've Posted

Show Messages

Content loading here...

Objects I Can Edit

Show Objects

Content loading here...

Reviews I Posted/Reviews Posted to my Gear

Reviews I've Posted

Show Reviews

Content loading here...

Reviews Posted to my Gear

Show Reviews

Content loading here...

Objects Others Have Attached to My Objects

Show Attached Objects

Content loading here...

Photos Others Have Attached to My Objects

Show Attached Photos

Content loading here...