Ute Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.40800°N / 105.71°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike (Class 1-2)
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions in the "Getting There" section of the main page.

Route Description


This route first heads up the 11,620ft. Tombstone Ridge. The trail starts in Windy Gulch at the western reaches of Moraine Park. The route to the summit of Sundance Mountain would be about 11 miles in total length roundtrip. Total elevation gain would be 4,100ft. This route up Sundance Mountain is probably the longest. The Ute Trail is well marked and all class 1-2 until you reach the top of Trail Ridge. There is no marked trail to the summit of Sundance Mountain so you'll have to have your map or know prior to your trip. This is a long but very nice climb to the top of Sundance Mountain with amazing views in all directions. A good portion of this climb is above treeline, so check the weather.

Essential Gear


Good hiking boots, day pack, plenty of food/water and trekking poles.
In winter conditions all snow/ice gear may be needed. Winter conditions may occur well into the summer so be prepared.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.