Val Colga, Lac de Nino

Val Colga, Lac de Nino

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.25743°N / 8.92279°E
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Lac de Nino seen from Bocca di StazzonaLac de Nino seen from Bocca di Stazzona, Capu a u Tozzu cut off to the right

Capu a u Tozzu is one of the roughly 50 2000ers on Corsica, but barely. At 2007m it only just meets the distinction but nevertheless, thanks to a solitary location, it offers good views across the mountain region of Haute Corse. Moreover it is located close to one of the most popular day hikes of the island, the hike through Val Colga to Lac de Nino with its swamp-like surroundings. Also the long distance trekking trail GR20 passes by only 200m beneath the summit at Bocca à Reta, ensuring numerous visitors.

The hike through Val Colga starts along a narrow path through dense forest and later turns into a scramble along somewhat polished rocks at the upper end of the valley. It reaches the saddle Bocca a Stazzona, already a wonderful lookout. To reach the mountain you need to descend to Lac de Nino, circle it on its southern side and start the easy ascent to Bocca à Reta. Here you need to head across the path-less south slope of Capu a u Tozzu towards its summit.

The hike is easy except for a moderate scramble at the end of Val Colga, right before you reach Bocca a Stazzona.

Getting There

Looking from Val Colga to the Haut Corse Main RidgeLooking from Val Colga towards Corsica's highest mountains

The route starts at Ferme de Poppaghia on D84, the road which connects Porto with Corte. Have a look at the main page for more information (also accommodation).

Route Description

Capu a u TozzuCapu a u Tozzu above the Pozzi at the southern end of Lac de Nino

  • General:
    • Start altitude: 1076m
    • Summit altitude: 2007m
    • Prevailing exposure: N
    • Type: Hike
    • Protection: None

  • Effort: 2 - Elevation gain: 1000m
  • Power: 2 - Strenuous
  • Psyche: 1 - Easy
  • Difficulty: 1 - Easy
  • Orientation: 1 - Marked trails


The route starts at the small parking lot near the forest station Ferme de Poppaghia on road D84 between Col de Verghio and Albertacce. At first it stays level traversing east towards Colga Creek. It follows the creek on its western bank for about an hour before it switches to the eastern side. Shortly afterwards you reach the Bergerie de Colga, a shepherd's hut at around 1400m.
Creative Cairns
Punta Minuta and Monte Cinto
Above Bergerie de Colga

Here a steep scramble first across scree fields, later across somewhat polished slabs leads out of the forest (Valdu Niellu = Black Forest) and offers the first views towards the destination, Capu a u Tozzu. A short but steep final ascent takes you to Bocca di Stazzona, a broad saddle between Punta Artica and Capu a u Tozzu. Looking back you have a wonderful view of the ridgeline of Corsica'S highest mountains while up front the bog-like basin of Lac de Nino lies in front of the Rotondo Massiv in the south. Usually a host of wildly grazing farm animals lives on the shores of the lake.
Paglia Orba
Capu a u Tozzu
Lac de Nino

Descend towards the lake. Depending on the water level you might be able to get to the wetsen bank directly but the more regular route follows the eastern bank and circles the lake in the south. Here you meet the trekking trail GR20 which you follow westwards, heading up to Bocca à Reta.
Lac de Nino
Horses resting near Lac de Nino
On the south slopes of Capu a u Tozzu

In the broad saddle look for an easy route up the south slope of Capu a u Tozzu. There are no cairns or other marks but the slope is easy to hike if you do it in switchback fashion. Head up to the summit which towers above the near vertical north face of the mountain

Essential Gear

Northern vire from Bocca di StazzonaNorthern view from Bocca di Stazzona

Hiking gear is sufficient. Make sure to bring warm wind-stopping clothes as Corsica's 2000ers are famous for their strong winds.

External Links



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.