Valley of Belagua

Valley of Belagua

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.92958°N / 0.85566°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is not a very defined route, nor an obvious one. However, it's the normal access to Txamantxoia from the province of Navarra and offers some attractives. For example, the trailhead is the valley of Belagua, the only valley in Navarra with a glacier origin. Apart from that, the forests in the lower areas of the mountain will offer a magnificent colour range (if you climb Txamantxoia in the autumn) or a good shelter from the summer sun. And the views from the upper area of the mountain, where trees disappear, will be amply rewarding if the weather's good.

Getting There

Start from the valley of Belagua, close to the french-spanish border. You will have to get there from Pamplona or Huesca, the biggest closer cities. Follow the road linking both of them (N-240) until the crossing of Venta Carrica. This is a crossing sixty-nine kilometers away from Pamplona, where you can find a petrol station and the beginning of the road to Sigüés / Salvatierra de Esca / Roncal. Follow this road (NA-137) for thirty kilometers, until you get to Isaba. After Isaba keep going north (NA-1370) towards France (follow signposts "Francia"). It is an eleven kilometers drive, until you enter the Belagua valley floor.

BUS ACCESS: From the spanish side, the only chance to get somewhere near Txamantxoia is via the buses of "La Tafallesa", starting at Pamplona and leading you to Uztarroz (in the Roncal valley).

TRAIN: The closest railroad station is located at Pamplona. Consider also getting to Jaca via Zaragoza and Huesca.

PLANE: The closest airport is the one placed at Pamplona-Noain. You can get there from Madrid-Barajas or Barcelona-El Prat

Route Description

The trailhead is a rather badly defined one. You must leave your car somewhere around km 11 in the road that joins Isaba with Arette. There are a couple of spots (not real parking areas) around that point where a car does have a place, just before a road bridge over a small river.
Start walking across that bridge and cross the road to its southern side. The first part of the climb goes along another small river coming down from the slopes of Txamantxoia. When you enter the forest, you will find several badly defined paths leading upwards. Almost any one of them is good enough, just keep going. Depending on which one you choose, you might pass by the small huts known as "bordas de Sabuki". In case of doubt, always take the path leading upwards and the forest will grow thinner until you reach the long (and wide!) summit ridge. Once you get there, follow it to the east and you will reach the top, marked by a big geodesical vertex.

Essential Gear

No real musts, for this route is just a hiking one. But... check the weather outlook before departure and carry warm/waterproof clothes as needed. Of course, good boots are absolutely advisable and hiking poles might be nice for the way down.

Winter ascents, as usual, must be undertaken with full winter gear (including crampons at the very least) and clothing.

External Links

  • Asolaze camping site
    Basic information on services and contact possibilities of the Asolaze Camping site (Isaba-Navarra)


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.