Via ferrata "Croda Rossa"

Via ferrata "Croda Rossa"

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.64300°N / 12.38100°E
Additional Information Route Type: Via Ferrata
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy Via Ferrata
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Like sistersCroda Rossa and Cima Undici

This easy via ferrata is probably one of the most frequented of the Dolomiti ( don't go there on sunday...), and it follows the warpaths of the Austrian soldiers of the first world war. The reasons for this popularity are at least four:
first this route gives the chance even to non expert hikers to reach the summit of a famous dolomitic mountain nearly 3000 m high; second you can avoid the long first part taking the cableway; third the rests of the WWI are really impressive; fourth the views are so wonderful since the beginning of the path that you will be speechless all the way to the top, where the panorama is something that you'll never forget.
But it must be clear that this is not an easy walk up, there are exposed passages ( some of the UIAA I degree ) and expecially during the weekends there’s danger of falling rocks. So don’t go there with running shoes and without helmet and ferrata set, like some stupid tourists do.

Route description

Via ferrata  Croda Rossa The first ladder

From Sesto/Sexten take the road to the small village of Moso. Follow the indications for Val Fiscalina and the cableway “Croda Rossa”. The cableway will take you in ten minutes or so to Prati Di Croda Rossa ( 1899 m ). Just a few meters above the restaurant " Da Rudi" you'll see the indications for the secured path ( via ferrata Croda Rossa – path n°100-100A ). The first part goes up moderately steep on the south-western rocky slopes of the mountain, called Costoni di Croda Rossa. The view slowly opens completely to the whole massif of the Tre Scarperi group, the deep Val Fiscalina with the beautiful Cima Una that rises imposing above the valley. The Tre Cime can’t be seen yet but you can see well the Rifugio Locatelli alle Tre Cime di Lavaredo and the mountains around it . In front of you Cima Undici soon appears in all its powerful beauty.

Last stepsapproaching the summit


Then the path goes inside a big ravine dominated by wonderful towers of dolomite, where the ferrata begins. After two ladders and a short secured section the path meets the old one that comes up from the east side ( sentiero del Castelliere, 15B, that can be a good option for the descent ). From there you go up following the beautiful warpaths of the WWI until you reach the Wurzbach, where there are still a lot of rests of the military camp of the Austrian soldiers. The view finally opens to the Tre Cime but also to the Croda Rossa d’Ampezzo, Tofane, Cristallo, Sorapiss, Cadini and Antelao. After a few minutes Cima Undici and Croda Rossa di Sesto can be seen for the first time together, like two wonderful dolomitic sisters. Without doubt one of the most beautiful views of the Dolomiti.
The last part is quite exposed and there are some easy passages on rock. Just before the summit there’s the most difficult part of the route, 20 meters or so, well secured with iron ropes. Approaching the summit all around there are military emplacements, and you can’t help to stop for a while and think about that war, hoping that something like that won’t ever happen again.

Cellphones, cellphones everywhere!!On the summit


Once on the summit a wonderful view opens in all directions, one of the best you can enjoy in the Eastern Alps.
Same path for the descent or you can take the path 15B before the ladders. There’s also the chance to go down with the difficult via ferrata Zandonella and then follow the alpinistic path “Strada degli Alpini” to the Passo della Sentinella and then to the Val Fiscalina ( very hard, 10/12 hours ).
Elevation gain 1050 m – 5/6 hours

Punta dei Tre ScarperiPunta dei Tre Scarperi
























Essential Gear

Helmet and Ferrata set

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.