Via Ferrata dei Finanzieri

Via Ferrata dei Finanzieri

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.44260°N / 11.78390°E
Additional Information Route Type: Ferrata
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Difficult Ferrata
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See the "Getting There" info on the main page.

Route Description


  • Colàc, 2715m
  • Difficulty: difficult ferrata
  • Starting point: Alba di Penia 1518m
  • Trailhead: upper station of the Ciampac-cable-car 2170m
  • Elevation difference ascent: 575m
  • Elevation difference descent: ca. 575m
  • Ferrata: ca. 575m
  • Hiking and climbing times:
    • Alba di Penia - Upper cable-car station: 1.5h
    • Cable-car - start of ferrata: 20min
    • Ferrata: 2.5h
    • Descent to Forcia Neigra 2509m and cable-car: 2h


    Take the cable-car (July through mid. September) from Alba towards the Ciampac Meadows (alternatively trail No. 644) where you turn eastward towards the starting point of the ferrata with the memorial tablet for the builder of the ferrata. Follow the cables across moderately steep rocks towards a huge inclination (word?). The following part across a smooth slab (often wet) heads for a set of clamps. The first part of these steps is slightly overhanging and the topmost part (crux) can become real hard in bad conditions. The remainder of the ascent runs along steps, gullies and chimneys towards the eastern summit ridge. A short steep ascent takes you to the summit (cross) with great views towards Val Contrin, the Marmolada South Face and the surrounding Dolomite Groups.

    The ferrata is not as hard as described in most guidebooks. In autumn the slabs can be covered with ice and in the upper part of the ferrata you have to account for rockfall.

    The regular descent uses the normal route through the south-eastern face of the mountain. The trail is secured by cables in all difficult sections and leads towards Forca Neigra (2509m) to the south of Colàc. Take either trails 613 (west) and 644 back to the cable-car station or (longer) trail 613 (north-east) towards Passo di San Niccolò and trail 608 through Val Contrin towards Alba. There is another, direct descent from Colàc into Val Contrin (trail 646) which is very rugged and thus not recommendable.


    Essential Gear


  • Ferrata Set (harness, two short ropes and biners
  • A helmet!!!

    Miscellaneous Info


    If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    ColacRoutes