Via Ferrata Ettore Bovero

Via Ferrata Ettore Bovero

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.58907°N / 12.10144°E
Additional Information Route Type: Via Ferrata
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Medium graded ferrata, steep and exposed
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Via ferrata Ettore Bovero leads up to the Col Rosa in the heart of the Italian Dolomites. With its 2166m it is not a very high peak, but it is a prominent one. The ferrata is steep and exposed, but not very hard. The nice thing is, on this route you get the feeling you are really climbing a fine rock. Due to it being quite exposed, you have fine views into the deep.
The ferrata itself is about 400m, and follows the south face of the Col Rosa. The return route follows the gentle slope of the north side.

Approach

The Col Rosa lies somewhat to the north of Cortina D'Ampezzo. The nearest parking is in Fiames (near camping Olympia). From the camping you follow an easy trail (#417) to the north, until it intersects with trail #408. You follow #408, which finds its way up to the Passo Posporcora with a lot of hairpin bends. From there leads a small path to the start of the ferrata. This approach takes about one and a half hour.

Route Description

Before the real ferrata starts, some light scrambling (I) has to be done. From where the cable begins, the route goes straight up to the top of the Col Rosa. After some very steep sections you reach the most exposed part of the climb. You have to traverse horizontally to the left, with very little rock under your soles. After that it goes steeply upwards again to a rather flat part, just beneath the summit. From there some ladders and pegs lead you to the top of the Col Rosa and you can enjoy your view.
Be sure to look into the First World War galleries under the summit.

The return route follows an easy path at the northside of the Col Rosa which leads in about two hours back to Fiames.
Me climbing Ettore BoveroVia ferrata as it should be!
Climbing VF Ettore BoveroA nice exposed passage on Ettore Bovero

Enjoying VF Ettore BoveroEnjoying the via ferrata.

My girlfriend and me on top of the Col RosaMy girlfriend and me on top of the Col Rosa, with the beautifull Tofanes in the back

Essential Gear

Normal via ferrata gear.

Extra information

More information can be found in:

Hüslers Klettersteigführer Dolomiten
Cicerone Guide Via Ferratas Italian Dolomites: Vol 1

Maps: Kompass #55 Cortina d'Ampezzo (1:50000)
Tabacco #03

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
Col RosaRoutes