Via Ferrata South Tower

Via Ferrata South Tower

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.42000°N / 13.05000°E
Additional Information Route Type: Via Ferrata
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Difficult, KS 4
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The via ferrata has a height of 170 hm and leads directly through the South Tower of Grandlspitz. The upper part is difficult, pendently and exposed.
The fixed ropes and the hooks are all new.

Getting There

From Dientener Sattel in 40 minutes to Erich hut.
From Erich hut in less than 1 hour to the beginning of the via ferrata.
First follow the sign "Hochkönig", later the sign "Klettersteig Grandlspitz".
From the nick between Grandlspitz and Taghaube on a trail to the left till the beginning of the via ferrata (red sign).

Beginning of the via ferrata: 2.130 m

Beginning of the Via Ferrata Grandlspitz

Route Description

Route of the via ferrata Grandlspitz

At the beginning the fixed rope follows the direct vertical line (Difficulty C).
The upper part is a little bit pendently, exposed and difficult. You need strong arms for this last passage (Difficulty D).
The complete route is secured by a fixed rope. At some parts without steps there are also some brackets.
So you only have to follow the fixed rope. From the beginning of the via ferrata to the summit in 45 minutes.

Topo Via Ferrata Grandlspitz

From the top follow the steep path to the North (fixed rope) and descend in 1 h 30 min.

Essential Gear

- Via Ferrata kit
- Handshoes
- Helmet (Danger of rockfall by climbers above you!)

External Links

German description of the Via Ferrata

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.