Via Ferrata

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.69200°N / 79.467°W
Additional Information Route Type: Self belaying rock climb
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: somewhere far above a hike yet below a technical climb
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

After paying your entry fee you will drive up the access road about 1/4 mile to where you will see the parking lot on the right where there is also a porta-john. After gathering your gear leave the parking area and continue up the access road about another 2/10ths of a mile and turn left onto another dirt road. Shortly thereafter there will be a sign on the right for the Via Ferrata. Follow this singletrack trail for perhaps 1/3 of a mile up a few switchbacks and you will arrive at the base of the Via.

Route Description

From here the route becomes obvious. All that is required is clipping into the stainless steel cable and following it. It will lead you up, around, and over the 3/4 mile route. The only decision that needs to be made comes about 2/3 of the way through the climb. After passing over the hanging bridge and around to the east side of the east fin you will have a choice. Either climb the headwall to the very top of the east fin or continue on the ledges to the trail out. This is a good option to have if you begin to suspect thunderstorms may be approaching as I can't think of a more precarious situation to be in than on top of a singular exposed peak clipped into a stainless steel line....Regardless the ascent up the headwall will add about an additional 1/2 hour to your climb depending upon how much time you spend on top. After topping out and eventually unclipping from the line you can follow the singletrack up to an overlook of both the east and west fins and then decend Pierson's trail back to your car.

Essential Gear

Climbing harness, approach shoes, helmet, and Via Feratta lanyard

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
big_g

big_g - Aug 8, 2006 5:12 pm - Voted 9/10

spelling

It's actually spelled "feRRaTa". 2 R's, 1 T.

big_g

big_g - Sep 26, 2006 10:28 am - Voted 9/10

21 Sep 2006 Fatality

From the Daily News-Record:

Crawford was attached to a guide wire by a safety harness and two safety carabineers, where at least one carabineer was to be attached to the guide wire at all times, Ware reported. "Crawford was at a point in the climb where she had to go around a tree by unhooking the safeties from the guide wire on one side of the tree and reattach them to the guide wire on the opposite side," Ware said. "She had unhooked both safeties from the guide wire and was attempting to proceed around the tree when she misstepped and without the safeties attached to prevent it, fell from a rock ledge approximately 150 feet to the ground below."
Link to the rest of the story: Valley Woman Plunges To Her Death During Climb

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.