Via FS 563

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.23520°N / 105.0652°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Southern shoulderSouthern shoulder


This is a super-short and easy little loop that combines nicely with other peaks in the area…or with a busy day of chores. The route is good for beginner navigators, as it is relatively straight-forward and forgiving. That being said, this little mountain isn’t cluttered with a trail, so bring a map and a compass, along with some common sense.

Roundtrip Distance: 1 mile
Elevation Gain: 170 feet (net)
YDS Class: 2

Getting There

Getting ThereRampart Range Road (FS 300)


From CO 67: Follow Rampart Range Road (FS 300) approximately 15 miles south.
From Mount Herman Road: Follow Rampart Range Road (FS 300) approximately 15 miles north.

• Rampart Range Road (FS 300) is a well-graded dirt road suitable to most passenger vehicles. High clearance is preferable on FS 563 in dry conditions. In wet conditions, 4x4 will be needed to reach the trailhead.
• Follow FS 563 north approximately 1 mile to a marked parking area on the southern shoulder of Dakan Mountain. There is a mostly-level area with a rustic campsite among wide-spaced trees. Park here.

Parking & Camping Area South of Summit

Parking 3
Parking 2
Parking 1

Route Description

Route Map


• From the parking area, begin heading uphill almost immediately to the north-northeast. Find a weakness in the cliff-band ahead of you.
• Cruise along the southern arm of Dakan Mountain, either enjoying easy boulder scrambling or side-stepping rock outcrops.
• Continue northeast up steepening terrain toward the summit* of Dakan Mountain. The summit boulders, upon my visit, contained only a broken glass summit register.

*The consensus on Lists of John is that this southern spot is verified to be at least one foot taller than the USGS indicated northern 9,179 marker for Dakan Mountain.

Essential Gear

Eastern slopesEastern slopes from FS 563
Eastern descent slopesOn the eastern slopes


Hiking gear, boots and outerwear appropriate to the season will suffice. Bring ample water, as this is a dry area. Carry a map and compass (GPS optional) and enjoy yourself.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.