Via Ptarmigan Lake

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.77330°N / 106.394°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

Directions to Ptarmigan Lake Trailhead:

From the intersection of Cottonwood Pass Road (FR 306) and Route 24 (the traffic light in the town of Buena Vista), drive the cottonwood Pass Rd 14.6 miles west to the well-signed Ptarmigan Lake Trailhead (Cottonwood Pass Rd is a paved road that is closed during snow season).

Route Description

All distance are per my GPS


Place………….…..Elevation (ft)………..Distance (miles)

Trailhead………….10660………………..zero

Ptarmigan
Lake……………….12132………………..3.0 (sign at TH says 3.3)

Saddle……………..12260

Jones……………….13218……………….0.8


Total………………………………………..3.8 miles


From the trailhead, cross the footbridge over the Middle Cottonwood Creek and follow the trail in a pine forest. The trail at first heads east but then turns south and enters the Ptarmigan Creek drainage. After about 1.3 miles, the trail crosses a Jeep Road.
Pine Forest
Pine Forest

At an elevation of 11700 ft, the trail enters a basin that houses many lakes. The forest becomes sparse and Jones Mountain appears to the southwest. Follow the trail by the many lakes up the basin to reach Ptarmigan Lake.
Jones & Ptarmigan Lake
Jones & Ptarmigan Lake

The trail continues on the east side of Ptarmigan Lake to reach a 12260 ft Saddle. Leave the trail at the saddle and hike up grassy slopes to the summit.
From 12260 ft Saddle
Summit from Saddle

Essential Gear

In summer, only hiking equipment.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.