Via Silver Lake South Face and back the Ridge to the Pass

Via Silver Lake South Face and back the Ridge to the Pass

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 9, 1982
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer
I decided to do this route to celebrate my birthday. I drove up to the end of the road past Silver Lake Flat reservoir---for those wondering this is a 45-60 minute drive from the Provo Canyon area...I was expecting MUCH shorter. Another note is that the final 3 miles are on a dirt road---I did make it in my low clearance sports car but I took some serious shots and scraped bottom half a dozen times. A car with regular clearance will have to be careful, and it will be nothing for a high clearance vehicle.

The trailhead is very obvious at Silver Lake Flat Reservoir. I ran from the TH all the way up to Silver Lake in about 30 minutes and then had to route find my way up to Silver Glance---I did find a bit of a trail on the way back down...if you're coming up the trail breaks off to the right and up the mountain just before you get to Silver Lake...it almost looks like it's going around the lake but watch for the spur that heads up the mountain instead of going around the lake. Once again, it is before you actually reach the trail that goes around the lake. I really wish I had known this on the way up. If you miss it, just aim to the right of the giant triangular rock outcropping that is just North of the lake.

From Silver Glance lake I decided to go straight up the scree field toward what I figured was the summit...this can be seen on many pictures for Red Baldy. I was amazed at how fast the climbing went and I just scrambled the final 1100 feet up the scree on all fours quite fast. I was blown away by the views from the Summit...might be the best in the Central Wasatch. Highly underrated!
White Pine Lake below White Baldy from Red Baldy SummitView from the Summit

I spent about 45 minutes on top and raced down in about an hour via the suggested route along the ridge and the pass which was a good move and highly recommended. Does this pass have a name aside from the Red Baldy-White Baldy Pass?
Me on the pass between White Baldy & Red Baldy above white Pine Lake with the Cottonwood Ridge in the DistanceCottonwood Ridge & White Pine Lake from the Pass

Although I saw some rock cairns at the pass, I did not find the trail on the way down from the pass to Silver Glance, but easily found my way down quickly by heading back in the direction of the Red Baldy summit while heading DOWN the mountain and then cutting back toward Silver Glance. Once at Silver Glance, I luckily found the loose trail down to Silver Lake and it was easy sailing from there. I made it from Silver Glance to the trailhead in less than 30 minutes running time.
Timp from just above Silver Glance Lake on the South ApproachSilver Glance & Timp on the way down


Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Red BaldyTrip Reports