Via Toll Road

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.22499°N / 118.06364°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class I - 4,500' Elevation Gain
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Initially, a four foot wide trail built in 1891, the toll road was expanded 1907 to ten feet in order to transport the 60 inch telescope to the top of Mount Wilson. Later in 1912 the road was again widened to 12 feet to fit the 100 inch telescope.

In the 20s, the toll road was home of the Altadena-Mount Wilson automobile race. The road was open to the public until the construction of the Angeles Crest Highway in 1936. The road was then turned over to the Forest Service as a fire road.

Getting There

To get to the start of the toll road, drive to the east loop of Pinecrest Drive in Altadena. Get past the fence down towards the toll road.

Route Description

Total elevation gain: 4,500 feet.
Distance: 9 Miles each way.

Take the dirt road down to the mouth of Eaten Canyon towards Henninger Flats. Pass these green flats and stay on the road until you reach the observatory's parking lot.

Essential Gear

Comfortable shoes and plenty of water.

In winter, it is not uncommon to find snow on the trail above 4,500 feet or lower right after a storm. Weather can change very quickly up there. Be prepared and do not fall into the "Day Hike" mentality death trap.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.