Via Western Trailhead

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.63392°N / 105.22714°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

From the Western Trailhead, the hike to the summit of Mt. Falcon is short, sweet, and simple. Even though it is easy, this hike offers beautiful views of Mt. Evans and other high peaks. What is unique about this route is the fact that you get to view the devastation of what a forest fire can cause. This route will take you right into the burn zone. No one, big or small, young or old shouldn't be able to enjoy this hike. Along this route are a map, bathroom, benches, and picnic spots, including the Eagle Eye Shelter which has views that lives up to its name. On the summit is a tower, that has plenty of places to site and eat.

Getting There

Road To Western Trailhead
As stated on the main page, take the Indian Hills turnoff from 285 and follow Parmalee Gulch Road for 2.5 miles to Picutis Road. If you reach the Elementary School, you have gone too far! On Picutis Road, simple follow the signs to the Western Trailhead. You will know you are on the right road, when you pass the Indian Hills Bed And Breakfast.

Route Description

Profile Of Castle TrailWestern Approach
From the Western Trailhead, hike or bike down the trail known as the Castle Trail. You will pass a park map station, and a restroom facility on your way down. Soon you will find yourself in the burn area of the late 80's fire. The trail then ascends for a short bit, then you reach a flat open area, with a sheltered bench on the right. Avoid the urge to turn left which will take you to the Walker Home Ruins. As you hike on, you will soon reach enter the trees and reach a junction where you need to keep ascending in elevation. Do not take the Meadow Trail which descends to the West. You are still on the same trail but the name changes to the Tower Trail. Ascend this trail to the summit tower. It is also nice to visit the Eagle Eye Shelter which is a little bit after the junction.

Essential Gear

View Of High CountryAwesome Views
Water, Camera. No special gear needed, unless you want to bike.

External Links

Open Space Web Site

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.