Victoria Peak - Expedition april 2009

Victoria Peak - Expedition april 2009

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 16.81200°N / 88.62°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 4, 2009

The team:

Victoria Peak expedition april 2009


Christian Rodríguez, age 33 (Guatemala)
Allison Fulton, age 26 (Ormond Beach, FL)
Michelle Kiefer, age 38 (Deltona, FL)
Kris Wilson, age 30 (Washington, DC)
Marcos Cucul, head guide (Belmopan, Belize)
Israel Choc, age 20 (Belmopan, Belize)
Francis Cucul, age 18 (Belmopan, Belize)

Day 1- Part I – “It`s doesn’t look that bad… what was I thinking?” Allisson Fulton

Victoria Peak - Jaguar footprintJaguar footprint

Any tick?Any tick Alisson?


5 am - Early morning, but weather was hot. So, the hours passing by and hot increased exponentially. Starting to hike in a trail with many footprints of tapirs and jaguars. The surrounded sounds of birds was beautiful.

The first 12 kilometers was on almost plain terrain, But sun’s rays where strong, hot was really extreme that day, plus the humidity of the jungle. It’s not an easy trip, is really demanding physical and mind conditions.

9:40 am - We finished satisfactory the first 12 kilometers. A really beauty river is the entrance to the Base Camp area. We ate the breakfast and huge quantities of water to try to refresh our bodies.

11:00 am – We are hiking again, this part of the trail was more hard to do it. Is a never ending up and down hills. Everytime, hills are bigger and bigger. Fortunately between each one hill we find creeks with fresh water. So, every bottle of water were filled again and again.

Day 1 – part 2 – “Damit, it’s hot!!” – Kris Wilson

Victoria Peak - taking water and airTaking water and fresh air

2:00 pm – Hills are biggers and raising steeply in the rainforest. Some of us coming to feel really tired. Me and Israel going fast and coming to be ahead of the team. We reach the top of a big hill, Ones of the highest hills in the trail. Me and Israel, found a couple of guys, sleeping in the trail. Are they Fint? Or dead? Looks like, they were really fatigued.

In the 16 kilometer, Kris was really exhausted. She began to walk without backpack. Israel and Francis interchanged the backpack in some parts.

5:40 pm - The last 8 kilometers were really arduous. Me and Israel reach the Dead Man’s Camp a couple of hours before the other partners.



Day 2 – “Oh my god! I have to climb that thing” – Michelle Kiefer

Victoria Peak from 18 kmVictoria Peak left side

Victoria Peakrock climbing

6:30 am - We began early morning, 7 kilometers more to the summit, this time with highest mountains, and much more steepest that the last day. Some time using both feet & hands to move forward, up and down.

10:00 am - Some parts we need to climb using rocks, wood and vegetation. Great views, immense areas, the vast jungle viewed from above. Victoria Peak rises proud in middle of nowhere.

12:00 pm - Marcos climb a big wall of rock to fix ropes. Other team were really in bad conditions, tired and using a very deplorable equipment to climb. A rope tied to the wrist and pull it up. Risky and foolish movements. We passed them, and start the final attack to the summit.

12:46 pm – Francis and me, happily reach the summit. A really nice area with awesome views to the Mayan Mountains. A few minutes after that, Alisson, Marcos and Michelle in the last steps to get the 2nd highest mountain from Belize.

Alisson goes fast the last part, we promised to her a full bar of chocolates if she reaches the summit. Cheers Alisson!!!

1: 40 pm - we began to descent, rappelling, climbing and hiking backing to the Dead Man’s Camp on 20 km.

6:00 pm – Finally resting in the camp, waiting for the others climbers. 2 hours more our team is together and eating a delicious dinners. Other climbers arrived over the 2 or 3 am.

Victoria Peak Belize - Christian RodriguezBelizian and Guatemalan flags

Victoria Peak succesfully climbedChristian, Allison, Marcos, Michelle, Francis

Day 3 – “I love doing these stuff, mountaineering” – Francis Cucul / Israel Choc

Victoria Peak - riverFrancis and Kris resting in the water


We wake up late, starting to hike at 9:00 am. That day, we take the hike slow and patiently. Some part only, Francis and me walking really fast to the Base Camp.

1:30 pm – On Base Camp, I take a fresh bath in the river. I fell asleep in the water an hour maybe. The others arrived to the camp aprox 3:00 pm. We spend the rest of the day to resting, eat and chat many hours about mountains, mayan civilization and nature. Some friends visiting us every moment; scorpions, spiders, ticks, mosquitoes, crickets and many more unknown hidden in the dark.

Day 4 – “I feel blessed my heart in the mountain” – Marcos Cucul

In the last 12 kilometers, we walking slow, taking pictures, bird-watching, talking and enjoying the trail, weather still hot, but pleasant. – Finally 1:00 pm – Expedition finished with lot of wounds, tired, sweated, dirty, lot of insect’s bites, ticks, soda coke drinks, iced chocolates (delicious) and a lot of fun.

Last picture all together, interchange of emails, said goodbye and strong hugs.

“Really nice place and good friends, funny experience… the best part of the trip was shared with these charmy people”. Christian Rodríguez

Freaky friends



Charmy friends

Victoria Peak expedition april 2009

Left to right above:

Christian Rodríguez, age 33 (Guatemala)
Kris Wilson, age 30 (Washington, DC)
Allison Fulton, age 26 (Ormond Beach, FL)
Michelle Kiefer, age 38 (Deltona, FL)

Left to right below:
Israel Choc, age 20 (Belmopan, Belize)
Francis Cucul, age 18 (Belmopan, Belize)
Marcos Cucul, head guide (Belmopan, Belize)

Links

Christian Rodriguez site
Marcos Cucul site

Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.