Vivian Creek Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.10300°N / 116.844°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


GETTING TO THE TRAILHEAD:

From I-10 in Redlands take the University exit north to Lugonia Street (route 38). Drive east for about 14 miles to the intersection with Forest Falls Road. Go right and continue for 4.5 miles to the Falls Recreation Area, past the town of Forest Falls. Drive to the parking area at the end of the road and walk uphill through the pinic area on the dirt road to reach the trailhead.

Route Description


It's aprox. 8.2 miles to the summit with aprox. 5,100 feet of elevation gain. The trail leaves the upper end of the picnic area and follows a dirt road for aprox 1/2 mile. At a signed area you will cross Mill Creek Wash and start on a steep mile-long climb to a beautifull hanging valley. Vivian Creek camp is located here. The trail follows Vivian Creek for aprox. a mile and a half before reaching Halfway Camp at 8,100 feet. From here the trail switchbacks up aprox. 2.3 miles to High Creek Camp at about 9,200 feet. Just after you cross the creek in High Creek Camp you will start a series of switchbacks up the west facing slope in front of you to a 10,000+ foot ridge where you can see many miles out towards the Baning Pass and the San Jacinto Mountains. The trail/route from High Creek Camp can become unclear if covered in snow. Basically, once you cross the creek you can head east or northest directly up to the ridge. There are 2 main gullies, both of which top out on the ridge. Once the ridge is gained you will head north another mile or two. Soon the summit of San Gorgonio can be seen in front of you. At about the tree-line a long monotonous northeast uphill traverse starts and brings you to the trail junction of the Dollar Lake Trail. At this signed junction head west for aprox. 1 mile on the trail. On your right (north) you can leave the trail anywhere and head for the high point. This is Jepson Peak.

Essential Gear


Water and good hiking footwear. If in early winter or winter conditions you'll need snowshoes and/or crampons depending on the snowpack.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.