Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 0.95170°N / 77.8869°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 15630 ft / 4764 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Sulphurs
Natural Boiling Sulphurs
undefined
A Cave at the Top of the Volcano
Volcán Cumbal
is a post-active stratovolcano, peaking at 4,764m (15630 ft). It's located in the heart of Cumbal, in the Nariño province of Colombia. The last time it erupted was in 1930. Cumbal is nearby to its more popular cousin, Volcan Azufral


This volcano is widely known for being the crash site of flight TAME 120, when it flew from Quito, Ecuador to Cali, Colombia in January 28, 2002. Out of the 94 passengers, there were no survivors. This makes the villagers there believe that the volcano is haunted, and it should be avoided at night. 


Every morning, even before the sun rises, you will see villagers nearby ascend with their horses to collect the sulfurs from atop to sell. Also, the ice there is believed to cure guayabas (hangovers), therefore ice is also collected to bring back down and make chupones (a local drink made of honey, lemon, and condensed milk).

Getting There

It's located in the cold, rainy town of Cumbal. Cumbal is located near Chiles, the town in Colombia that's on the border with Ecuador. 

If you are passing the border and want to skip the hustles of the cities like Ipiales and Tulcan, then going through the border from Chiles and Tufiño and passing by Cumbal is the way to go! 

The city Pasto is also nearby, 79-km north-east.

Route

The Trail
The Trail



Follow the Volcano!
Follow the Volcano!
From Cumbal, you can take a motorcycle taxi from the locals, ask for "refugio del Volcán Cumbal" (refugee of the cumbal volcano).


You can also just walk from the town up to the refugee, but it will take a few hours. You will pass through many villages along the way which are pretty nice to see.


The refugee is the starting point, there's only one road, you can't miss it. It starts off as a muddy trail, passing through paramos. After about 2-4 hours (depending on your conditions) When you get pass the paramo and the mosses, however, the trail ends. From there, just look for the volcano and make your way up wherever you feel is a stable and appropriate path.

Red Tape

No fees and restrictions.
This place is more known to the local people than a touristy place, therefore it's pretty liberal.

When to Climb

undefined
Don't end up like this!

undefined
Extremely Windy and Cold

Almost any seasons are appropriate.

My friend there told me to avoid the rainy seasons, around April, as it can get pretty cold, windy, and foggy.

I recommend getting up early and tackling it, getting down at night will be a challenge, as you might get lost.  

Camping

Camp anywhere you like, there are no restrictions.

The refugee also offer rooms and food, but I didn't ask how much the room cost.

I had a fried fish meal, which costed 8,000 pesos (~$2.70). The fish was caught fresh from the river nearby, it was really good.

Video

I made a video on this hike from start to finish. I hope by watching, you'll get an idea of what the journey looks like.