Volcanic tour

Volcanic tour

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 28.22516°N / 16.63588°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Mar 9, 2006
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring

Mirador de la Ruleta

Walking at Roques de Garcia, around "the finger of God".

This short tour begins at Mirador de la Ruleta, in the nationaal park de las Cañadas del Teide. These natural sculptures can be easely reached by car or bus. This is why there are many tourist over here. But it is not without reason. The beautiful rock formations and the panorama views at the Teide are spectacular!

TeideTeide


From the carpark we walk right of "the vinger of God" and after a few minutes there are hardly any tourists to be seen. We appear to have this extreme volcanic landscape al to our selfs. We slowly climb over a well marked path and keep the rock formations to our left. In the shade of those rocks, there is even some snow. A bizare contrast in this dry and warm landscape! Even on this short trip, it is important to bring enough water. And enough sunlotion of cours.:)

Lava Vertical lava sculptures


After the last tower of Mirador de la Ruleta we arrive at another viewpoint. If you know where to look in these inmense lavafields, you can find some caves and make a short tour in them. But they are really narrow , so be careful. From here we descend into the valley of Llano de Ucanca. After a few minutes walking, we have a new, quite spectacular view on all the colourful rock formations. 20 minutes descending into this beautiful gorge, there again are spectacular and high volcanic rocks. The view into the desolate is really magnificat! This part is much lower than the eastern section of the crater.


View!Ucanca valley


Futher down the trail, we are heading for the Catedral. This 150 meters high rock formation looks a bite like a cathedral. Really nice and intense multi-pich climbs are possible here, and you can see some of the shining bolts. When we turn right, we ascent towards Mirador de la Ruleta again. When we return to this starting point 2 hours after we left it, there are almost no tourists left. We glance at the “finger of God” for the last time, before we get into the car.

The Catedral 2The Catedral


Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Roques de GarciaTrip Reports