Voyager-- 5.6, 2 Pitches

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.6 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Voyager is a fun 2-pitch route on good granite. Contrary to what the MP route page says, it is not all bolts; the first pitch is trad and the second is sport, and there are more details in the route description here.

Climbing P1 also allows access to most or all of the anchors for all the routes to the left of this one.

Getting There

At the right end of Headstrong Buttress there is a low-angle slab with two sport routes. Continue uphill and left to an even lower-angle slab that leads to a dihedral. That dihedral is the start of P1.

Route Description

P1-- This pitch is actually trad. There is a single bolt after the harder parts of the pitch, protecting an easy move to easier ground leading to the anchors, but if you leave your trad rack in the car as I did because you expected bolts, you can (1) free solo 5.6 to the bolt, (2) use the slings on your alpine draws to tie knots to use as passive pro in cracks (what I did), or (3) ascend the gully to the right and do a spot of Class 4-5.2 to reach a ledge and then walk left to the P1 anchors.

P2-- Sport. I think there were five or six bolts leading to bolted anchors. P2 of Voyager is the line that goes more or less straight up from the anchors. The line to the right, also a 5.6, is Voyeur, and it's worth doing that one as well.

Descent-- do two raps to get down unless you brought two ropes.

Start and P1 of Voyager
Start and P1 of Voyager
Down P1 of Voyager
Down P1 of Voyager
P2 of Voyager
P2 of Voyager

Essential Gear

Six draws, a light rack for P1, and whatever you like for your anchors.

 



Geography
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.