Vuelta

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 0.8674°S / 78.8942°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Option 1 - From Latacunga take a bus directly to Quilotoa village (3800m).
Option 2 – From Latacunga take a bus to the town of Zumbahua (2920m). You can start your hike to the summit here,12km (+900m) from Zumbahua to Quilotoa village. Other alternative is to take one of the “camionetas” to go from Zumbahua to Quilotoa village.

Route Description

Quilotoa summit (Courtesy of...the summit

In Quilotoa village go to the lookout (3840m). You are at the south-west part of the crater. The shortest trail to the summit is the one to the east (turning counter-clockwise). However you can also decide to go clockwise. The idea is to hike around the crater passing through its summit. Upon which of the trail extensions / shortcuts you take the round trip back to Quilotoa lookout is 10km / 12km and +300m / +400m.

Essential Gear

Wind proof and warm clothes. It can get quite windy on the crater.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.