Walnut Canyon Rim, Flagstaff, Arizona

Walnut Canyon Rim, Flagstaff, Arizona

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 35.15381°N / 111.55067°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 5, 2021
Activities Activities: Hiking

Overview

Walnut Canyon sits to the east of the city of Flagstaff in northern Arizona. A portion of Arizona Trail goes over a forested plateau to the north of the canyon where we hiked and took spur trails to reach the rim of the canyon. The hike fell outside the boundaries of Walnut Canyon National Monument.

 

 

 

Trip Report

 

Hike Length: 9.55 miles

Maximum Elevation: 6975 ft

Minimum Elevation: 6450 ft.

 

Kris and I left the vacation rental house near Flagstaff, Arizona at 5:30 AM. View from our doorstep.

 

Leaving the house in Flagstaff
Leaving the house in Flagstaff

 

Drove I-40 to Exit 204 and Walnut Canyon Road. Before entering Walnut Canyon National Monument, we turned west onto a dirt road that had a good surface and went 1.75 miles to reach Arizona Trail Trailhead. Started the hike at 6:05 AM following the trail southwest. We were in a forest of tall pine trees and to my surprise there was green grass everywhere. It must have rained the previous night. Everything was wet.

 

Ponderosa Forest
Ponderosa Forest

 

After 1.3 miles of walking in the forest, we reached a spur trail that took us to the north rim of the canyon.

 

Walnut Canyon
Walnut Canyon
Walnut Canyon
Walnut Canyon

 

Went back to the main trail, which soon went down into a side canyon and then up again to the top of the plateau.

 

In the side canyon
In the side canyon

 

Another spur trail to a different spot on the rim.

 

Walnut Canyon
Walnut Canyon
Walnut Canyon
Walnut Canyon

 

 

Back to the main trail, got a glimpse of the San Francisco Mountains to the northwest.

 

San Francisco Peaks
San Francisco Peaks

 

We then followed a third spur trail to the end of it over a narrow rocky ledge on the rim of the canyon.

 

Narrow ledge
Narrow ledge

 

Views of the canyon and San Francisco Peaks from the end of the ledge.

 

Walnut Canyon
Walnut Canyon
Walnut Canyon
Walnut Canyon
Agassiz and Fremont Peaks plus Elden Mountain
Agassiz and Fremont Peaks plus Elden Mountain

 

 

After eating and enjoying the views, we began to walk back running into a number of other hikers, joggers and mountain bikers.

 

Flowers
Flowers
Flowers
Flowers
Flowers
Flowers

 

 

Back to the car at 11:00 AM.

 



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Walnut CanyonTrip Reports