Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Dec 6, 2008 12:10 am - Hasn't voted

Good start...

This is good info, but you might consider making it a route rather than a custom object. What kind of waterfalls might one see along the trail?

Jeremy Hakes

Jeremy Hakes - Dec 6, 2008 1:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good start...

Thanks for the idea, but this is not really a route; i.e. you don't have a choice of other routes - you either do the West Coast Trail, or you don't. There are no alternatives or branches or different route selections to choose.
I will update the page with a few waterfall bits of info. Generally speaking, the trail doesn't really present many.

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Dec 8, 2008 12:17 pm - Voted 6/10

I agree with Bubba

Whilst the WCT has become a bit of a circus in recent years, many people still want to do it and may look for useful information about it on SP. This "custom object" tells them essentially nothing. If you're going to do a page make it a route with all the relevent info.

It's not true that "there are no alternates or branches.....". The hiker is faced with a decision everytime he/she reaches one of the many beach access points - take the forest or the shore. Each one should be described with recommendations or the need to make a choice based on the tides; foreknowledge of the latter being a crucial part of planning for this trip.

And what about the major side trail into the Carmanagh Valley to see one of the few remaining stands of giant Douglas Firs on the planet?

"Bushwhacking inland to find a road is also not an option". Actually there are logging roads approaching to within 250 metres of the trail, particularly at the south end. The WCT, I'm afraid, is a rather contrived wilderness. But you're absolutely right that this is not an option to be considered for most folk doing the WCT. You might enjoy, however, seeing how Islanders themselves get around.

If you don't want to get into all this - and it's a big job for sure - consider rolling the overview info you've included here into your nice album on the trail and leaving it at that. No-one expects anything from an album except nice pictures.

Whatever you decide, you really should include a reference to "Blisters and Bliss" in the references. This is the trekkers "bible" for the trail.

Lastly, I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to the Island. I hope you saw a bit more than the WCT while you were here.

Cheers,

Martin

Jeremy Hakes

Jeremy Hakes - Dec 10, 2008 10:56 am - Hasn't voted

Douglas Firs

Unfortunately, I was unaware of this option when we did the trail. Had I known, we definitely would have visited these trees. When I go back to do the trail with my wife, we will be sure to visit the trees! Thanks!

Jeremy Hakes

Jeremy Hakes - Dec 10, 2008 10:50 am - Hasn't voted

Added

a link to the book you referenced. Thanks for the info as I wasn't aware of this book previously.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'West Coast Trail, Pacific Rim National Park, B.C.' main page