West Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.76900°N / 110.766°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From the Jenny Lake Visitor Center, follow signs to the Jenny Lake boat dock. It’s about a 5 minute walk from the parking lot.

Once at the boat dock, you goal is to find yourself on the west side of the lake. To get there, you can either take the boat (see Red Tape section) to the boat dock on the west side of the lake or follow a well-trodden trail (about 2 miles) around the south, and then west, side of the lake to the boat dock.

From the boat dock on the west side of Jenny Lake, pick up the Cascade Canyon Trail. The maintained trail heads steeply west through beautiful forest toward the mouth of the canyon. About a mile from the boat dock, at a point near the base of Symmetry Couloir, the obvious, large gully coming down from Symmetry Spire (right) and Storm/Ice Points (left), look for a climbers’ trail that heads off right and aims for the cliffs near the base of the couloir.

Follow the climbers’ trail to the cliffs. A 30-foot headwall (class 4) must be climbed, exiting hard left at the top to regain the trail. Once back on the trail, follow it steeply up Symmetry Couloir to the col at its head.

The peaks around Symmetry...
Hiking Symmetry Couloir Toward the Col

Route

From the col between Ice Point (left) and Symmetry Spire (right), drop down the back side of the col a short distance, then begin traversing south along the base of the cliffs along Ice Point’s northwest ridge.

Following the cliffs as they bend left (southwest), you’ll soon find yourself at the saddle between Ice Point (left) and Storm Point (right).

From the saddle, hang a right and follow easy terrain up and then right, working your way along the base of the cliffs. When progress is halted by a headwall of sorts, scramble up left and then route-find your way to the summit via any number of lines on the tower’s west face. Class 4 terrain should be expected. Harder terrain is always nearby.

To descend, retrace your steps.

The roundtrip is about 3200 feet of gain over approx. seven miles, if doing the entire approach on foot.

Gear

In good, summer conditions, nothing more than the usual hiking/scrambling gear should be needed. Some may feel more comfortable doing the final ridge climb in rock shoes. Some webbing may also be useful.



Table of Contents
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.