West Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.58300°N / 118.235°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Steep Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


This hike is started from the confluence of Gov't Trail Canyon and Pete Canyon on the west side of Job Peak. Directions to this trailhead are included on the Job Peak Main Page. See map for additional details.

This climb involves about 3700' of elevation gain and and ~6 mile round trip.

Route Description


From the car, start east up a short slope, bearing right as you aim for the spine of the ridge. Follow the spine for around 3 miles to the peak, with about ~300' of total downhill --- mostly at the very base of the summit. Sidehilling is not recommended due to steep angles and unstable traction. Return via the same route, or take a variation --- just don't drop into the worng canyon, or you might end up doing some serious cross-country to get back to the car.

Essential Gear


Only very low brush is encountered on this hike, so shorts are usable. Bring plenty of water! You will not find any sources on this route. All desert peak climbing gear applies, such as a hat, map, and sunglasses. Field glasses are highly recommended to aid in enjoying the views.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.