West Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.51920°N / 120.6166°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering, Trad Climbing
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.5 (YDS)
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Big KangarooBig Kangaroo from the SW.




The West Route on Big Kangaroo involves a very long steep approach with over 3,000 feet of vertical to a very short climb of three short pitches - perhaps in the range of 150 feet of actual climbing.

Were I to do it again, I would certainly do it in the spring with skis so as to enjoy the long descent back to the hairpin.




Approach

Big Kangaroo from the west (Telephoto)Big Kangaroo from the west late season.
.
Big Kangaroo from the westBig Kangaroo from the west early season.







With no snow, approach as per the description on the main page.

With plenty of snow, one can ascend more or less directly from the hairpin curve to the base of the rock, keeping in mind the potential for avalanche.







Route Description

Ascend the gully to the base of the main summit block then take the left branch to the base of the rock. A short pitch on rotten rock (marginally Class 5) leads to the crest just to the north of the summit pinnacle.

A short traverse (exposed and on small holds - well protected) across the west face of the summit pinnacle leads to a belay ledge on the southwest corner of the pinnacle.

The last lead to the summit follows the south edge of the pinnacle to the tiny summit. This is almost impossible to protect and involves small holds and friction, but it is very short.
West face traverse - Big KangarooTraverse pitch
Summit pinnacle - Big KangarooLast bit to the summit
Belaying the summit pitch.<br>Big KangarooSummit Belay



Essential Gear

A small rack and a 50 m. rope.














Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.