West scree

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 50.71855°N / 114.91885°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the Little Elbow Recreation Area parking lot, follow a trail that goes along the river in the upstream direction. In 200-300 meters, a large pedestrian bridge is reached, where you want to cross. Follow the biggest trail that curves sharply left and follows the river downstream, however soon heads off south, in the correct direction. There are many small trails here, just keep to the largest one, Big Elbow Trail on the maps. This is a mostly flat road and you really want to be on a bike, if not doing the full traverse.

Follow along this road for approximately 15km. After the first 10km or so, there are two wooden bridges that you want to make note of - after crossing the second bridge, in a kilometer or less from this point is your turn-off. The trail gains a steep incline and there is a small branch on your right (big cairn here in 2005). This branch will take you to the Banded/Outlaw col.

Route Description


Once on the correct trail, it follows the right side of the valley and gets you to the Banded/Outlaw col. Now drop your pack here and run up the scree pile that is Banded Peak! There was a summit register in 2005.

If not going for the full traverse, return the same way (hopefully you brought your bike). Otherwise, Outlaw is next!

Essential Gear


Alpine axe, hiking poles (for scree), gaiters

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.