West Tatras -Challenge

West Tatras -Challenge

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 49.21000°N / 19.66000°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 15, 2007
Seasons Season: Summer
Sivy Vrch-West Tatras Mountains2
Sivy Vrch-West Tatras Mountains
Zadni Salatin-West Tatras Mountains
Some early sunny morning of August I took my car and went to Tatry Zachodnie (West Tatras group).The most western ridge of West Tatras lies in Slovakia Country. So I arrived in Zuberec village-a started point of exploring this part of Tatras Mountains. The 90kms’ journey took me about two hours and at 6 o’clock I was in the place ready to explore mountains. Left my car in some free parking area .There is a marked route from Vysne Hutianske Sedlo (Pass)which follows the main ridge of west Tatras. But to get to this pass you need take a bus or your own foot to walk asphalt road just 1.5 hours.

I didn’t know the bus timetable and didn’t look for it .Alternatively I saw an unmarked path traced on map directly from Zuberec to the ridge .Hoping all will be good I started this path. First it was well maintained gravel road. I passed some neglected storehouses and entered the forest. The deeper into the forest the weaker was the path and at last it disappeared. So I decided to climb the slope diagonally up and at right. And suddenly my eyes met quiet maintained path on the slope used by foresters. I continued this path but a little bit further the path got tendency to go down .I left the path and started climbing upwards through difficult terrain. But not as long as I wanted .The forest trees mainly firs ended and in front of me appeared the belt of thick mountains dwarf pine trees. It was clear to me I can’t force this ridge guard. But why don’t try . Well, I threw myself forwards, entered the belt maybe 30m deep and withdrew back. I started to look for another place where I could overcome this tame I spotted one place which seemed not to be very thick overgrown. But after 50maybe meters it turned out that the thickness repeated. What to do ?Thought I . Nothing to do but go forwards answered myself and crawling scratching falling I moved forwards. And what a beautiful sight ! I saw at last the marked route .I fell exhaustible on the rock full of happiness that the dwarf pine belt is behind me. What a nice feeling. It took me 1 hour to go across the 150m wide pine dwarf belt.

Well I found myself on the ridge between Biela skala (white rock) and Sivy Vrch (Grey Mountain)at last and there was nothing to do but follow marked route. This part of ridge is the most beautiful in the whole West Tatras and is called Radove Skaly. The ridge is built of dolomite rock formation. White rocks of any imaginable shapes together with greenery of meadow and dwarf pine make surrealistic landscape .Nature has generously endowed this part of Tatras creating amazing rock garden .I followed the route and began the ascent of Sivy vrch 1805 m .It is craggy dolomite stone summit which dominate the vicinity. Just below the summit I had lost the route and have to traverse the craggy summit to get back to marked one. Further the route flattened and led through the wide dwarf pine wood. I get to the Palenica sedlo(pass) 1573m which once was used by local people to cross the ridge from Zuberec towards Liptovski Mikulas town. Here I rested for a while and began ascent Brestova Mountain .The route gently ascended the summit. Once on the summit the heavy cloud came and screened the sights .It got cold and the wind started to blow .After 30 minutes or so the cloud moved aside and it was fine again. Here on Brestova summit I met the first tourists who ascended from other side. The next summit on my way was Salatin 2048m .Very good lookout .The route down from Salatin was of loose gravel but no difficulties. I get to the picturesque ridge-line of granite Skriniarky. The route was a little tricky .But what an unforgotten sight. The nature opened here the bag of treasures and left them for our longing eyes. Numerous turrets ,boulders of funny shapes, towers ,gates and so on. I walked through this beauty turning my head now and then at right and left. And at last I achieved Spalena Summit 2083m. Here I met the next tourists. They seemed to be very cold. Maybe they stayed too long without moving. Again I rested but shortly and started descent to the pass and then ascent to Pachola Summit 2167m.On my left it was foggy and cloudy and on my right it was sunny. The ridge was border keeping one sort of air from the other one. Pachola was the last summit in my plans.

I descended to Banikove sedlo (pass) and made my way towards Rohacska Dolina(valley).On the way I watched wonderful waterfalls Rohacsky Vodopad. And at last I arrived at the asphalt road in Rohacska Valley. Needless to say that from here there is only 12kms’walk to Zuberec . Alternatively (having some luck) I can catch the bus .So I walked down the road which here is tamed for motor vehicles and after 4 km I got to the bus stop. I was fortunate enough to catch the last bus (I waited only ten minutes).Once in Zuberec I got into my car and returned home. The whole leg ‘s journey took me about 11 hours And I have to say I rested quiet a little time.



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
kamil

kamil - Nov 29, 2007 6:26 pm - Voted 10/10

kosówka

Hahaha I always say that dwarf pine-whacking is a more advanced and sophisticated form of bushwhacking :)
Fajna wycieczka, też się muszę wybrać znowu w Tatry jak będę parę dni w domu.
pzdr
kamil

wlado

wlado - Nov 30, 2007 4:17 am - Hasn't voted

Re: kosówka

Thanks for Your commentary
Heh.. Ja mam juz dosyæ kosówek .Fajnie siê je ogl¹da ..Zyczê udanej wyprawy w Tatry i sprzyjaj¹cej pogody.Pozdrawiam serdecznie

visentin

visentin - Oct 7, 2008 6:47 am - Voted 10/10

re:

Very interesting report from a little-known part of the West Tatras

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
Sivý VrchTrip Reports