Western Approach

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.82820°N / 113.9189°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


South of Wendover on Route 93 to Ibapah Road- Follow Ibapah Road to Goshute-take Queen of Sheba road as far as you are comfortable. My Durango took me to N39 48.235; W113 57.624 at 9294 feet.

You will need to contact the Goshute tribe to get permission to cross their land.

P.O. Box 6104
Ibapah, Utah 84034
Telephone: (801) 234-1136

Route Description


I took a different route to this county highpoint. A call to the Goshute Tribe Office got me their tribal chairman-Ed. Other than being sure I was not an elk hunter, he was quick to give me permission to be on tribal lands for this hike. He answered questions about road conditions, took a description of my vehicle, and I was all set.

Day one began about noon in Salt Lake. Drive to Wendover, south on route 93 to Ibapah road. All paved to Goshute. This took about 3 hours. Very good, recently graded, dirt roads from here to the entrance to Queen of Sheba mine, which is marked on most topo maps. High clearance for last mile was helpful. Stopped once to see why I was on tribal land, mentioned Ed, and that was a magic key.

Camped for the night at N39 48.235; W113 57.624 at 9294 feet. Right at entrance to Queen of Sheba mine if you want to do some exploring.

From here a bushwack to the trail at N39 48.502; W113 56.979 , 9,307 feet. I hiked this 4 times at various elevations. Easiest for me was to stay at or below this elevation until arriving at trail. Stumbled on this 2nd mine at N39 48.390; W113 57.382, 9,240 feet.

Trail is north of stream from here to saddle. About .2 miles from saddle it veers Northeast to the saddle. Can be faint at times and little more than a game trail.

Cache is at the saddle where the trail from the east also arrives. Large prescription bottle, log and pencils provided, with a few items for first few to find.

From this parking place the hike to Ibapah peak was 7 miles roundtrip and 3,000 foot elevation gain. Laughing

Essential Gear


good shoes, water

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.