This is a short but pleasant route to the top of Blue Mountain. Those with a 4x4 can park less than ½ mile walking distance from the summit cairn. Surprisingly, a faint footpath charts a course from FS 244 right up the west slope of Blue Mountain, then along the summit ridge to the register jar. This would make a nice warm-up for a beginner off-trail navigator.
Roundtrip Mileage: 1 mile
Elevation Gain: 300 feet
|From Florissant||From Lake George|
FS 244 is a surprisingly smooth, gentle 4x4 road, though you will be happy to have high clearance in dry conditions, even if 4-wheel drive is not needed. In wet conditions, however, do not proceed without a 4x4.
- Continue on FS 244 as it steepens, taking care not to turn off on one of the spur roads.
- To the south of a small mining shed, a casual use trail heads directly up the west slope of Blue Mountain.
- Continue ascending the slope, scrambling up or by-passing a rock outcrop.
- Upon gaining the ridge, a relatively well-defined use trail carries you south-southeast to the summit cairn and register jar.
- Trail map (Trails Illustrated #137 (Pikes Peak, Cañon City) would meet most needs)
- Comfortable hiking boots or walking shoes
- Snowshoes after a heavy snowfall
- Water and snacks
- A camera to save memories of the high country views
- First aid kit
- Other standard backcountry essentials