Western slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 32.37300°N / 110.93°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 3rd class
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From the Iris Dewhirst parking area (there's a water fountain right by the trailhead) follow the trail ENE into Pima Canyon. Please try to stay on the trail, as the first 3/4 mile or so crosses private property. Soon after you leave this section you enter Pima Canyon, which occasionally has a stream flowing through it. You cross this wash/stream several times and it's never difficult to get across - even when the water's flowing.

After about two miles you will see the Cleaver rising above you to the north. There is no trail that leads to the peak - you simply leave the Pima Canyon trail and start bushwhacking towards it. No one route seems to be much better than the others; however the main drainage (running south from the Cleaver) seems to be the home of many sharp plants. Head for the western end of the Cleaver, where the formation slants down to the saddle separating it from Pusch Peak.

Route Description

There are a few short sections of 3rd class required to get from the saddle to the easy slopes leading to the summit of the Cleaver. There is no one particular route; pick whatever line looks best to you. Try not to stray too far north or south to the steeper walls of the formation. If you find yourself in territory that's harder than 3rd class, you're probably on the wrong route. Once you gain the western slopes of the Cleaver, simply follow easy ground east to the summit. Your easiest return is back the way you came - unless you brought a rope and want to rappell the northeast face!

Essential Gear

No technical gear is necessary. Due to the nature of the hike, however, it is advisable to wear long pants!

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.