Viewing: 1-20 of 38
12
Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Jan 2, 2009 4:40 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice Read

I am a Oregon Cascadian, grew up in Eugene/ Bend. Very nice article Don.

All my best,

Steve

mvs

mvs - Jan 2, 2009 4:53 pm - Voted 10/10

thanks for writing this

Very inspiring article! The mountains helped you unlock your inner potential and confidence. I sometimes feel the same way.

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Jan 2, 2009 5:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Thanks for sharing...

...your experiences and, more importantly, the hopes and dreams that climbing has brought to your life. Climb on!!

Cheers, Martin

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Jan 2, 2009 6:34 pm - Voted 10/10

Thanks for Sharing

Very well written. Your honest open assessment of yourself is commendable. Glad to hear things are going so well for you.

Mark

Luiso

Luiso - Jan 3, 2009 6:52 am - Voted 10/10

Thanks for sharing

Very good and inspired article.
I only want to say that you're a not so rare mountaineer. Many people I know go to the mountains to escape from something (sometimes, from a theoretically successful live).
But this article is one of the best I ever readed on the reasons to climb.
Cheers.

alpinedon

alpinedon - Jan 3, 2009 2:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks

I guess what I meant is that most climbers are used to success, and use climbing as a means to further that success, but yes, you're right, lots of people use climbing as a means to escape from whatever demons pursue them. Thank you for your kind words, though, it took alot just to write this.

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Jan 3, 2009 2:33 pm - Voted 10/10

Inspirational

Parents, counselors and others who deal with children with Asperger's take note!

silversummit

silversummit - Jan 4, 2009 12:45 am - Voted 10/10

Great insight......

and speaks volumes about finding yourself at any time in life. My heart went out to you as I started reading your article and I suspected something like Aspergers. As a former teacher and Scout leader I can tell you that Aspergers is more readily diagnosed now.

We had a very successful experience with one young man with Aspergers in our troop who is now in college. Not every camping trip was easy for him (or us) but he absorbed skills like a sponge and Scouting helped him navigate being in a group. His particular interests now are science and math.

Your last picture shows a healthier-looking, happier person; hopefully your life will continue in that direction!
Kathy

suddendescent

suddendescent - Jan 4, 2009 10:12 am - Hasn't voted

Encouraging !

I'm an utter failure at climbing... Every time I try vertigo gets to me ! My last attempt at it , I basically tried to attain a small hilltop in LaTuque Quebec in vicinity to the Smurfit Stone wood processing plant just to get a picture of that water outlet on top...(mind you despite the minimal vertical, the hill has steep slopes...)

I guess that mountain climbing can be deemed as a good way of getting out of hibernation ! A sense of accomplishement gives people an added measure of confidence to tackle the other challenges of life !..

alpinedon

alpinedon - Jan 4, 2009 6:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Encouraging !

Thanks for writing. We all have our mountains to climb, for sure, so good luck with the vertigo!

cascadetraveler

cascadetraveler - Jan 4, 2009 12:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Nice journey Nieghbor.

I can relate to your story Don, I to have had to overcome alcohol addiction, that began six years ago. I suffice to say climbing is also the avenue in which I have been able to refocus my goals.

When passing thru are visiting Eugene there is a healthy climbing community. The Obsidians outdoor club, Eugene Mountain Rescue,and WillametteBackcountry ski patrol. All three organizations offer mountaineering instruction, rescue training/ firstaid, and backcountry navigation. These organizations have given many people unlimited opportunities to explore there potential. We would enjoy your company out in the field.

Thanks for posting Don, very inspiring to me,

Larry.

alpinedon

alpinedon - Jan 4, 2009 1:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice journey Nieghbor.

Thanks for writing, I actually can't believe all the comments and replies I have gotten! I was going to say, I actually have climbed maybe five mountains with the Obsidians and used to be a member of EMR. The things is, though, I am really afraid of doing group stuff, and so it was always hard for me to attend...

cascadetraveler

cascadetraveler - Jan 4, 2009 6:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice journey Nieghbor.

Ya, group stuff does take a leap of faith. What I have found is it is healthy to go outside your comfort zone. It is obvious you are spending a lot more time there.

Cheers Don, I will keep you posted on upcoming fun stuff.

Larry.

norco17

norco17 - Jan 4, 2009 1:06 pm - Hasn't voted

very inspiring

Thanks for sharing, and congratulations on all of your successes.

The Defiant One

The Defiant One - Jan 4, 2009 7:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Excellent article

really, fabulous story. I don't comment much, but this is among the best things i've read on SP. Your authenticity is inspiring. Cheers Don.

alpinedon

alpinedon - Jan 4, 2009 7:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Excellent article

Thank you so much. It really took me steadying my nerves to submit this one, so such great feedback is tremendously gratifying. Really appreciate it.

Ingman

Ingman - Jan 4, 2009 8:10 pm - Voted 10/10

Well done!

Thanks for sharing dude. Nice to hear about your process of personal growth. Good luck on your future peaks! :)

CClaude

CClaude - Jan 4, 2009 10:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Why do you call yourself a failure...

The western society definition sucks (since I know some people that are "successful" but are #$$'$. Sounds like you are starting to know yourself, which sounds successful to me.

alpinedon

alpinedon - Jan 4, 2009 10:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Why do you call yourself a failure...

Thanks, and you're right, it is by that very western definition of a failure that I meant. It's a habit I am only learning now - to not buy into the bs of our hyper-ambitious and driven society!

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Jan 5, 2009 5:11 pm - Voted 10/10

great!

You might also find interesting Richard Louv's book "Last Child in the Woods" about "nature deficit disorder." He thinks it might be associated with increases of autism (including Asperger's) in our society, and of course the solution is . . . your new field, outdoor recreation!

Viewing: 1-20 of 38
12
Return to 'What Climbing Means To Me' main page