Page Type Page Type: Fact Sheet

Wildfire Info

With the current high risk wildfire situation, and recent wildfires affecting access and enjoyment of the high country in some areas, I wanted to put together a list of websites where hikers and climbers can find out current wildfire information.

Please feel free to contact me if you have other websites that I can add!

Here's a link to a great article with captivating photos that describes our current fire dilemma in the West. Under Fire, National Geographic Magazine July 2008

InciWeb


InciWeb is an interagency wildland fire incident information management system. The system was developed with two primary missions: The first was to provide a standardized reporting tool for the Public Affairs community during the course of wildland fire incidents. The second was to provide the public a single source of information related to active wildland fire information.

A number of supporting systems automate the delivery of incident information to remote sources. This ensures that the information on active wildland fire is consistent, and the delivery is timely. 

National Interagency Fire Center


The National Interagency Fire Center (NIFC), located in Boise, Idaho, is the nation's support center for wildland firefighting. Eight different agencies and organizations are part of NIFC. Decisions are made using the interagency cooperation concept because NIFC has no single director or manager. 

USDA Forest Service Fire and Aviation Website


National Park Service Fire and Aviation Management


Bureau of Land Managment Fire and Aviation Management


Wildfire News SIT Reports


NOAA Smoke Detection Program


California Smoke Management Program


CANSAC

CANSAC, California and Nevada Smoke and Air Committee, provides experimental forecast products of fire weather, smoke dispersion/transport, fire danger and fire behavior.

Interagency Real-time Smoke Monitoring


Vaisala Lightning Explorer


Vaisala Lightning Explorer displays recent lightning activity across the entire continental U.S. The lightning data displayed is 20 minutes delayed and updated every 20 minutes. Get the latest map available by clicking "Refresh" under the map. The map shows a 2-hour time period with lightning data color coded in 20-minute increments.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Related 

Friends

Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.