Fire on the Mountain

Fire on the Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Album

Fire in the Mountains

Each summer and fall fires sweep through the mountains of the western U.S. and other countries. These affect climbers who often have to change or cancel plans or in rare cases run to safety. Smoke often diminishes photo opportunities or quality, but in some instances may actually provide enhancement. Large wildfires can also add excitment to a trip and serve as good photographic subjects themselves.

While certainly destructive and sometimes dangerous, fires are also life-giving and rejuvenating to many forest ecosystems. For decades fire was considered an enemy and fought aggressively, but now as the beneficial role of fire is being realized, fire management often lets the fire burn or lights intentional prescribed burns. The giant columns of smoke can be awe-inspiring and beautiful, but other times they are sinister and frightening to observe.

Fire photos are scattered thoughout SP. Please consider adding your to this album.

**Please add only photos showing an actively burning fire. Aftermath photos of burned forests are easy to come by and too many. Maybe someone would like to make a different album for those if there is an interest.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Rob A

Rob A - Jun 13, 2006 1:22 am - Voted 10/10

Nice Idea

You might also want to include pics of the aftermaths of fires or make the a seperate album.
Later, Rob

mrh

mrh - Jun 16, 2006 4:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice Idea

Thanks Rob. Yes aftermath photos should be a separate album I think. I don't have any desire to start one now. Maybe some future day, or maybe someone else can. Pictures of burned trees are pretty easy to come by and of less interest to me. Hopefully they won't flood this album. I have added a message requesting they not be added.

turistoalpinista

turistoalpinista - Sep 28, 2006 7:55 am - Voted 10/10

Very nice

Really good idea!I've enjoyed the photos!
TA

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.